Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

Thanks for the responses, I will delve ito the 6x47 lapua further and see if it will accomplish my ballistic goals.

I am yearning for a BC near .400 and a velocity as close to 4000 as I can get that will allow zero at 200 and less 5" or less drop at 300( yes I know 4000 is high the trajectory is the more important factor

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

So what youre saying is you want a 6-284.
You will be happier wih it than a 6-06. SA for starters, better design/effeciency,easier to make brass,better brass (its the LR 6PPC),built on an LA it has stupid mag room,longer barrel life(Barely) and less recoil(slight).
It will drive a 6mm bullet as fast as is logical. Any more and its time to order the 2nd barrel when you get the 1st. Mine runs a 115 at 3300 and is a trainwreck for a deer. Always used that for yotes also but an 80gr ought hit 37-3800 m/l. I would say you need a longer barrel for any hot 6. Mine is 28" and handy enough. This round needs some time though to burn that much powder in a .244 hole. Any fast 6 needs a little extra barrel length or your just burning powder for fun and recoil.
Ive researched this area also and decided for a yote load with a 6-284 I would drive an 87 gr berger about 3700 with a .412bc.
Everyone loves my 6 even the guys who bitched when I built it. Its hard to find anything that wont plasma cut a throat in 100rds that will shoot much flatter. This isnt a fur gun is it? If it is discount everything I said this thing will splatter a yote bad.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

I still have this stuff for sale.

6mm-280 Rem Reamer and Dies
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

I use a 243 ackley also. I shoot the 105 amax at 3245 with quarter moa accuracy. I have used on everything from sod poddles to elk. All one shot drop kills.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

look no further than a 6mm Ackley in an eight twist barrel that's 26" long. Nice thing about it is that you can still shoot factory ammo thru it.
gary
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

I'm kind of a 6mm freak to begin with so this question may be right up my alley

I started with a standard 243win, got bored with that & rechambered to 243AI. I shot that round 'tl the bbl gave up the ghost & was really happy with it. I can't take anything from the 243AI.

I rebarreled that rifle to 6mmAI which is IMHO, a step up in pretty much every category from the 243AI. I'm still shooting that particular rifle/chamber with 85grn bullets. the 6mmAI should get you 3600 or better with 87grainers in a 26"bbl & acceptable chamber pressures.

My favorite 6mm hands down is the 6-284. I built mine on a 700 long action, McM A-5 stock & 28" Kreiger Barrel. I'm running the tried & true 107SMK with Ramshot Magnum at over 3400fps with room to spare. The 6-284 offers some a advantages (noted above I think). The first is LAPUA brass which I think, speaks for itself. The second is '06 powder capacity in a shorter OAL than the '06, you will have more room to fiddle with seating depth & chase lands. Forming cases is so easy "A caveman can do it", simply neck down Lapua 6.5-284 brass & voila! You have new 6-284 brass.

Second choice is 6mmAI hands down. Longer neck, very close velocity wise, pretty easy to form cases & VERY accurate.

t

Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm kind of a 6mm freak to begin with so this question may be right up my alley

I started with a standard 243win, got bored with that & rechambered to 243AI. I shot that round 'tl the bbl gave up the ghost & was really happy with it. I can't take anything from the 243AI.

I rebarreled that rifle to 6mmAI which is IMHO, a step up in pretty much every category from the 243AI. I'm still shooting that particular rifle/chamber with 85grn bullets. the 6mmAI should get you 3600 or better with 87grainers in a 26"bbl & acceptable chamber pressures.

My favorite 6mm hands down is the 6-284. I built mine on a 700 long action, McM A-5 stock & 28" Kreiger Barrel. I'm running the tried & true 107SMK with Ramshot Magnum at over 3400fps with room to spare. The 6-284 offers some a advantages (noted above I think). The first is LAPUA brass which I think, speaks for itself. The second is '06 powder capacity in a shorter OAL than the '06, you will have more room to fiddle with seating depth & chase lands. Forming cases is so easy "A caveman can do it", simply neck down Lapua 6.5-284 brass & voila! You have new 6-284 brass.

Second choice is 6mmAI hands down. Longer neck, very close velocity wise, pretty easy to form cases & VERY accurate.

t
That about sums it up ^

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755