Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

I am contemplating starting a new build. For those that don't know me I am a pretty avid coyote hunter and do a good bit of mid range hunting (as in 400 to 700 yards).

I am a big 7 STW fan, I like semi custom rigs and enjoy handloading... to a point. I have long used a light weight 22-250 to great success on coyotes but have decided that I am tired of the 22s being finicky to load for compared to my .284s and .30 cals. It also seems that every time I pick up my coyote rig lately the wind starts blowing. I believe that speed kills and flat shooting is a bonus on predators, they are less likely to stand around while you set up in my opinion and flat trajectories decrease my margin of error on range/ eleveation estimates.

I think I am going to base this build on the 87 and 88 grain Bergers or V max's in .243/6mm. so prolly a 1 in 10 twist. A little better BC than the light 22s, Not too heavy in a .24 call that I can't push the FPS back up there and I suspect a little less finicky on the handloading.

It will be a Rem. 700 action, It will carry a Timney trigger and be fitted in a Bell and Carlson medalist alumium bedded stock. (this combo has worked for me in the past and I am comfortable with it) ..familiarity with a system seems to reduce fumbles under stress and a coyote running in or suddely appearing out of the blue still gives me the adrenaline dump I crave.

I believe I will want to stay with a 24" or under barrel of medium sporter to light varmint contour, which of the .24s do yall prefer for this kind of work? I like the 6-06 concept but suspect anything under a 26" bbl is cheating the round, the 6 AI looks promising and I know nothing of the 6x284.

Bonuses I see to the 6-06 is the ease of which I can acquire 270 win and 25-06 brass to neck down. I think I would rather neck down than blow out the shoulder on a case, this is not set in stone though.

Any of yall have any similar builds and load set ups? what kind of FPS / Trajectory are ya gettin and such.

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

The best advice i can give u is to call kevin cram at mcr.. and talk to him about the 6 mm cm. He built me one and the accuracy with the 115 bergers at 3150 fps is outstanding.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Try a 243 AI. When I was looking for a LR varmint gun my smith suggested it. It has worked well for me with 105 Bergers.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Barrel life and very accurate I would build a 6x47 lapua. It will do everything a 243 will do but with way more barrel life.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Warbird, have you used the 105's on game to any extent and what did ya think?

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

Respect All - Fear None
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

CPG I really prefer to exceed 243 Win performance and barrel life for me is not a top issue as I am no longer shooting hundreds of rounds a year per rifle and I have rigs more suited to bench work. I rarely shoot strings more than 3 out of my hunting rigs.

I mean I don't want to get ignorant with it so as long as projected barrel life is 1200 plus I'm not going to write off the idea.

Respect All - Fear None
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons7STW View Post
Warbird, have you used the 105's on game to any extent and what did ya think?
Lyons, I have used the 6mm 105's on 2 pronghorn and a fair number of mule deer. The goats were shot at 402 yards and 337 yards. Both were one shot kills. The chest cavities were a mess. The mule deer were taken between 25 yards and 300. I have also shot some 500+ yard prairie dogs with it. Overall I have been really impressed with the 243 AI and 105 Bergers.