Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

"Inherent accuracy"...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

"Inherent accuracy"...

I know many of us hold this opinion, but I bring this up for the benefit of new members.

May I suggest that when we deem a cartridge inherently accurate or inaccurate we are fooling ourselves. I believe the bullet tuned to the barrel is what matters.

If the caliber you want to shoot has bullets of consistent quality available, you can get a rifle made with decent machining technique to shoot around .5 to .75 MOA.

I have found that all my rifles will do this, regardless of caliber. And most will do much better.

Recent testing with my AR-50 has produced a number of 3 shot groups at 200 yards in the .3s. I had four shots the other day in really windy conditions in .35 MOA. So, so much for the "inherently inaccurate" .50 BMG.

Other than for incredibly mismatched cartridge/task combinations, say, like the .444 Marlin for 1000 yard benchrest, do we really believe that one cartridge is more inherently accurate than another?

Now maybe, just possibly, some shooters are more inherently accurate than others... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "Inherent accuracy"...

The PPC family of cartridges have clearly proven that some cartridges are more "inherently" accurate than others.

However, a rifle built by a skillful gunsmith, using quality components, is far more important to accuracy than any particular cartridge. At least in my opinion.
VH
Old 03-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

OK, let's define the task at hand. If I want to be competitive at 100 yards shooting 10 shot groups (uh oh, here we go!), yes, the 6mm PPC has had so much thought put into load and projectile development that it will beat most everything else most of the time. For that task.

Now, back to long range hunting. Most agree that .5 MOA is perfectly acceptable. Of course, I want more... But my point is that once we leave the .1s benchrest game, and start evaluating cartridges to kill game at long range in difficult conditions from various positions and rests, we can make just about any cartridge do the trick with the proper amount of input.

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited by: STL ]
Old 03-25-2004, 05:16 PM
PUBLISHER

STL

You are such a trouble maker. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

STL said...

Now, back to long range hunting. Most agree that .5 MOA is perfectly acceptable. Of course, I want more... But my point is that once we leave the .1s benchrest game, and start evaluating cartridges to kill game at long range in difficult conditions from various positions and rests, we can make just about any cartridge do the trick with the proper amount of input.

I believe this statement says it all!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

STL said -- ".. Now, back to long range hunting. Most agree that .5 MOA is perfectly acceptable.."

..Ya know I can't resist a good controversy.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
.. That said, with .5 being "perfectly acceptable" what is it we really need for LRH..?? Would a load combination that hits within .5" of point of aim every time not be a good thing.??

..Holy cow..!! That could possibly run into groups as big as, **GASP** 1"..!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
..But in theory you'd still be shooting within .5MOA, if point of aim was the consideration instead of just group size.. Which sounds more practical for hunting purposes, IMO.. A .5MOA rifle that shoots great groups hither and yon is an annoying thing if you're not a point blank benchrester going strictly fro good groups.. Shooters for score being a whole different ball'o'wax.!! Heehee... d:^) JiNC

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]
Old 03-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Jake I agree with you that a rifle that puts the bullet .5 MOA from point of aim at any distance every time can definitely be a workable LR rifle.

In fairness to BR rifles, I can't conceieve of a competitive BR gun that shot great groups, but put them all over the place due to a functional problem with the rifle. The dispersion would likely occur from one shot to the next, which would blow out groups.

But you do have what I think is a great point in the discussion. Namely, that wind deflection, flight time and energy matter in a big way to us hunters! If there are difficult conditions, a 90 grain .243 bullet running 2950 fps into .18 MOA at 100 yards will flat out lose in a big way to a 7mm or 30 cal. bullet with a BC over .6 running at 3200 fps in .5 MOA when both bullets are shot at long range.