Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Info for a new barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Info for a new barrel

Hi Guys,

I have a Mark V Weatherby In 300. It is an older one made in Germany with a 1-12 twist. So I've been thinkin of rebarreling it. I have a few question before I start saving money.

1. Chrome Moly VS. Stainless Steel barrel?

2. Barrel Contours #3,4,5,or 6?

3. Grooves 3 or 5? And what about Polygonal?

4. Twist 10 or 12? I would like to shoot 168 or 185 berger's.

5. Freebore or No Freebore?

6. Fluted or No Flutes?

7. 26" or 28"?

I am a hunter. I lookin for better accuracy then my factory barrel. My shots typical are 800 and less. But would also like to shoot further.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by stainmstr; 03-24-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Info for a new barrel

I will address what i can for you here. Stainless or Chrome, well its really up to your preference, i have heard that SS wears better, plus no worry of rust. For your contour, first you must decide on what your target weight is for this rifle. For your groove choice, 5R seems to be catching on quick, that what my build is getting. For your twist, I would go with a 10 or 11" a 12" is pretty limiting to some lighter bullets. If you are wanting to shoot longer ranges, I would look at the 210gr berger VLD. It will be your best bet for long range. If your going to push it with a 300 Weatherby mag i would choose a 28" barrel for max velocity. There is a lot of info around regarding fluted barrels. Thats going to be another personal choice. I personally wouldnt spend the money on it. Good luck, I am sure others that are much wiser than I will chime in.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks Camshaft for your input.

I either have to buy a new gun or rebarrel mine because the best I can get is 1" groups.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Actions, Barrels and triggers

Check out this thread, they have lots of barrels in stock whenever you are ready. I am going to go with a Rock Creek as soon as they get them in.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainmstr View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a Mark V Weatherby In 300. It is an older one made in Germany with a 1-12 twist. So I've been thinkin of rebarreling it. I have a few question before I start saving money.

1. Chrome Moly VS. Stainless Steel barrel?

2. Barrel Contours #3,4,5,or 6?

3. Grooves 3 or 5? And what about Polygonal?

4. Twist 10 or 12? I would like to shoot 168 or 185 berger's.

5. Freebore or No Freebore?

6. Fluted or No Flutes?

7. 26" or 28"?

I am a hunter. I lookin for better accuracy then my factory barrel. My shots typical are 800 and less. But would also like to shoot further.

Thanks for the input.
Cam has some good advice. Again, a lot of what you listed comes down to preference but here are some things to consider. Stainless will wear better and resists corrosion. It is a little softer than chrome moly, so dings easier. The barrel contour depends on how much you want to pack? The heavier contours will shoot better especially in the longer lengths. I would personally probably lean towards a 5. I have both 3 and 5 groove barrels and they both work very well. The 3 groove is in 6.5 Sherman, is 26" stainless, fluted in a 4 contour. (if it was .308 dia. I probably would have gone 5). The 3 groovers seem to have a little longer barrel life with the wider lands but can be hard on bullets (more so in smaller diameters at high velocity). My 300 Sherman has a 5r Barlein which I love. It cleans up better than any barrel I've had and shoots lights out! It is a stainless, fluted in a custom contour for a B-78. It is a modified Palma design which fits well with my Browning forearm. It crowns at .750". As far as twist goes, if you are never going to shoot more than 200 grainers, I would consider an 11 twist, but 10 would be safer all around. Freebore seems to work for Weatherby and does give the potential for more velocity but could limit you somewhat as to bullet selection (accuracy)? Both of my barrels are fluted but I don't know if it does much other than looks? Maybe 5 oz. lighter in a 26" 300. I don't think you can flute a 300 with less than 5 contour. If you want velocity, go with the 28" barrel (maybe 75-80' over a 26") A 28" does make for a rather long rifle with the Weatherby action. Good luck with your build.....Rich