Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Info about the HEAVY 7mm specialty bullets needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Info about the HEAVY 7mm specialty bullets needed?

I've been using the 162gr A-max in my 7rm for the last couple years. Because of the high BC and superb accuracy.
I haven't had any problems with expansion, however every deer I've taken with the A-max; shot placement was perfect.

I've read about some wildcat/specialty 7mm bullets that are 200gr ???

Where are these available?

Will a factory throat work? The rifle is so accurate, I'd hate to fiddle with it until the barrel is shot out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whats the BC for these?

What is there construction ?

Typical hotload velocities in a 7rm ?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Info about the HEAVY 7mm specialty bullets needed?

Email Richard at wildcat bullets, he'll help you out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

wildcatbullets @ hotmail.com (REMOVE SPACES)

JB
Old 10-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

I owned a 7 mm Rem 700 24 inch. I bought a 7 STW before they were comercially made. It has a 28 inch barrel and the correct twist to shoot 175 grain and heavier bullets.

The problem with a 7mag is the case can't hold enough of the slow powder and the barrel was to short to use the heaviest bullets. During chrono testing of 175 sbt's I was popping the 7 mag primers with IMR7828 and they were still 150 FPS down on the STW with out a any pressure problems.

If you made a 7mag with a 28 inch barrel you still would not have all the dynamics of the larger case and you still would probably be 100 fps down
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

I'm trying to figure out the best LR option for a 7rm that shoots .3MOA groups at 200 yards. I hate to rebarrel a rifle that shoots that well. Even after I get a true LR rifle, I will always have this as a backup (just in case a scope/rifle takes a dump).

My 7rm has a 26" barrel (not original, but it is a Rem barrel).

Thanks,
AJ

Old 10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out the best LR option for a 7rm that shoots .3MOA groups at 200 yards. I hate to rebarrel a rifle that shoots that well. Even after I get a true LR rifle, I will always have this as a backup (just in case a scope/rifle takes a dump).

Thanks,
AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon you should have a look at Kirby's 7mm Allen Mag. see the main index and go to the first link for a very desirable rifle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon you should have a look at Kirby's 7mm Allen Mag. see the main index and go to the first link for a very desirable rifle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have my eye on a Kirby rifle, however I want to spruce up my current 7rm and then it will take backup duties. I've hunted with it since '78, its due a breather.

AJ