Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Inconsistent A-bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Inconsistent A-bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
Thanks. My model is an original A Bolt as well. 1992-1994 there or abouts. I already adjusted the trigger weight down per the manual and its fine for now at about 3lbs with no creep. That bedding job is pretty shotty and I'm very unimpressed on what is a 850.00 rifle in todays dollars. I took my finger nail and the bedding material on the receiver inlet fell right off. The actual "bedding job" is very flexible by pressing on it with my finger nail and I believe it is compromised. I will locate a smith here in DFW and see about getting a complete bedding job done properly, along with any stock reinforcement options. I found this link where reinforcement has been done with success at minimal cost.
Glass Bedding a Sporter Rifle
If the bedding is soft then it probably has been exposed to bore cleaner or such. I would try to re-bed just the recoil lug as it is now. Mine shot great for 20 plus years bedded just like that. I have since re-bedded the whole action because I put a new barrel on it. As far as bedding material try Devcon 10110, it is indestructable.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

If you are going to pay someone to rebed and stiffen your stock, you would probably be money ahead to get a B&C Medalist from Stockey's for ~ $200- 250. They have the full aluminum bedding block. They are really a pretty good stock for the money. Then you could bed the recoil lug only, or skim bed the action if it is still needed. It weighs about 5-6 ounces more than the factory stock.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

The bedding material looks like that thermoplastic stuff win used to use, just a stiff form of a hot glue.
Most rifles will benefit from a properly bedded action and a professionally adjusted trigger.
Handloading may help as you can adjust your (COL) but are still constrained but your magazine length.
Having your barrel borescoped may prove ineteresting as well.
How much do you want to send to fix your browning?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM

I didn't mention that the rifle IS left handed. I don't see how anyone can say a new barrel is in order without even seeing the gun, but I will have it borescoped for any possible flaws. I believe the primary issue is the lack of bedding. I would be willing to consider a new stock like the B&C, but I don't see a left handed version. I don't want to spend 400.00 on the stock alone. My goal is not a six hundred yard hunting rifle. My shots are limited to much closer ranges. What I'm looking for is consistency more so than accuracy. If the gun will print 1.5" at 100, that is ok. Any accuracy increase will be a nice bonus. I might pick up a home bedding kit and give it a go myself, then see where I'm at.

Last edited by Minnow; 09-20-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Do what you can as you can. I had an A-Bolt, liked it alot. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Good news to report. I bedded the recoil lug and the little hump in the stock where the first part of the chamber rests. Much better now with consistently better groups. I also installed the 2lb Timney trigger spring which actually turned out at 2.5lbs. With Hornady 130gr Interlocks, it is now shooting MOA consistently and to the same point of aim. Today had 3 three shot groups measuring .90",.95", and 1.15" consectively.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Excellent! Its great when things go together and work out like their suppose to.