Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Improving long range performance for my "standard" stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Thanks GG,
Pretty much in line with my thinking. I don't know what barrel the guy shooting the Bergers had. Maybe I'll give 'em a try. Personally, I want exit wounds. Did your bullets exit at that range?

I only have one concern about the sst. I've shot a couple coyotes the bullets didn't exit on. I may switch to the AB.

I've never heard of 243 issues. What kind of issues? I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm happy with mine. But, I'm not you.

Sometimes they exit and sometimes they don't. When they don't, they are usually just stuck on the hide on the far side.
I don't care much if my bullets pass through or don't just as long as they cause massive internal damage on their way.

243's seem to be hard to keep in tune. Something about the internal combustion plumes caused by shape of case and powder to bore ratios. ONe day they shoot ok, the next, not so good in my experience.
I'm a firm believer in matching case capacity to bullet size and weight to get optimal powder performance and the 243 and 6x.284 are way past 6mm size.

Kind of like dropping a supercharged 393 stroker motor in a Chevy Aveo. Sure goes fast but it's hard to keep it going straight down the strip!
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.

Unread 11-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member
I bought some 210 bergers to try with my 300win. Only powder I have on hand is re22. How about load suggestions (any powder)? I'm running my 180ab's around 3170. I figured I could get the bergers to around 2970. Is this correct?

I figured the extra energy would give me another 250 yards of on game performance, provided I can put it in game.
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Just a few comments in general about going down the road you are going. You can spend a lot of money and become very frustrated so here is what I would suggest you consider.

1. Have each rifle recrowned. It is cheaper than buying a box of bullets and can be done in a day if you make an appointment.

2. When at the gunsmith ask him to check the bolt lug bearing surfaces to see how much contact you are getting. He can just smear some goo on the lugs and look and tell you and it doesn't cost you anything. You can spend a lot of money testing bullets and the gun will not shoot heavy bullets because of uneven lug contact.

3. Might as well have the trigger adjusted while you are there. Price is about the same as a box of bullets.

4. Have him bore scope the barrel to see if you have been doing a good job cleaning it.

So you are now into the gunsmith about $200 per gun which is the same as two boxes of bullets and two different bottles of powder. I did not recommend bedding the rifles being as I assume you have already done that.

After you have done those thing, head on down the road of bullet and powder testing.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 11-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Thanks for the tip.