Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Importance of T.O.F.???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Importance of T.O.F.???

How is TOF useful in making long range hits?

What other info would you need besides TOF to calculate drops?

To me TOF is something exbal will spit out that I pay little or no attention as I dial in my windage and elevation. Sounds like your going backwards but I would like to know none the less.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

Ya see, thats why I came to you guys cuz you are a lot smarter than me. I thought I fully understood B.C. before but as you can see I got a long way to go. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!! I'll continue to come to you guys and ask my backward thinking questions as long as you all don't mind. Someday who knows you guys just might get me shooting straight!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Man don't leave me hanging. I am still very interested in the subject. It is probably over my head, but love to learn or try to learn everything I can. I doubt that anything will ever change the way I approach long shots but still like info.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but I don't see much significance in ToF other than knowing how far your live target might move if it is moving.

There are only two things that matter when it comes to Windage, Drop and ToF, and they are BC and velocity. Change any other "bullet" parameter such as cal or weight, and as long as the BC and velocity remain the same the Windage, Drop and ToF will reamain the same.

Play with your calcs and see if it's true...

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 02-16-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I am with ya, but am curious. What would you multiply TOF x terminal velocity? I just can not figure the use, but am willing to learn.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I am with ya, but am curious. What would you multiply TOF x terminal velocity? I just can not figure the use, but am willing to learn.
If you're asking me, I don't see a use... other than trying to hit a moving target.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If you're asking me, I don't see a use... other than trying to hit a moving target.

I do not see a use either, but there have been times when I did not know enough to know whether something was useful or not. I am always willing to learn.