Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Impacting low in warmer weather?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Impacting low in warmer weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Velocity variation is set to 0.00 fps/*F.

Just something I though of, the mirage was pretty bad that day compared to what I have been shooting in. I have been shooting in colder weather (for north carolina) but that day was warm and sunny and the mirage was coming off the ground. It had about a 6 mph wind from the 11 o'clock so it wasnt a boil. Could this effect it in any way? Probably not 1 moa at 500 yards could it?
Yes, if your target image was wavering it can appear to lift the target. That would make you shoot low, or under it.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Would 5" low at 545 yards (over 1 moa) be possible from mirage? It wasnt boiling either. It was left to right. What do you think?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

When you checked your zero was it 1 shot, a group, did you recheck after making the .75moa adjustment? If it was 1 shot or even 1 group and then you adjusted the turret and then went straight to the 500+ yard shot perhaps the zero adjustment was not necessary. Just a thought???
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

My question is was there mirage when you zeroed at 100? I have sure seen mirage mess up a zero more than 1 moa at 100. If you are off 1 moa on your zero you will be off 1 moa every where.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help guys, I see what you are saying. I shot a group of 3 right where I was aiming at 100. Shot that group. A little later that day shot a couple more rounds at 100 just to confirm and everything was good. Would it be beneficial to forget about that day for now and try everything again starting fresh next time and see what happens? Jeff do you always confirm zero at the start of a shooting session? Does it ever change on you?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

In my experience the biggest factor in an inconsistent zero is inconsistent form. Also a change in position like from bench to prone or bipod vs. backpack. Not saying this is your problem but it goes along with your question about trying it another day. I think that's a good idea. If it happens again then worry about it.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, I see what you are saying. I shot a group of 3 right where I was aiming at 100. Shot that group. A little later that day shot a couple more rounds at 100 just to confirm and everything was good. Would it be beneficial to forget about that day for now and try everything again starting fresh next time and see what happens? Jeff do you always confirm zero at the start of a shooting session? Does it ever change on you?
I periodically check my zero's. But they seldom change. If I have something look like it was wrong I will check it pronto. But it was usually me.

I have seen rifles loose zero, it can almost always be narrowed down to scope or mounts. And more times less expensive rails and rings than less expensive scopes.

You do need to go shoot again. Get a log started, record your load data, rifle, field conditions, angles of shot, dial up used and how low or high the impact was. Then once you have enough actual field data, you can reflect on this data from home to get your drops spot on in your program.

Jeff