Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I'm new and need help w/ specs on a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm new and need help w/ specs on a rifle

I am going to order a 300wsm from Len and need help on what the following specifications mean:

Brux Barrels - hand lapped 26 inch stainless match grade barrel, with #5 contour and 9 twist
Phoenix Machine custom stainless long action with fluted, oversize bolt handle
Throated for 210 grain Berger VLD bullets
Pinned recoil lug
Pillar bedded, free floated
Side bolt stop, release
Front and rear studs with 1 inch Pachmayr Decelerator pad
20 MOA Picatinny scope mounting rail

Can someone help me with this?

Kalle
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: I'm new and need help w/ specs on a rifle

The best thing you can do is call Len and discuss the build in detail with him.
He may also put you in contact with the smith that does the work and they will give you a very good education.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Great idea. Thanks. I don't feel so bad anymore... Several people have looked at my questions, but you're the first response.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

Cully
This is Corey I shoot shotgun with you at rattlesnake, Len will walk you through the process basically the chamber will be reamed to that bullet, in short call len or shoot me a email cjashbeck@hotmail.com I can answer some of your ?'s see ya soon, glad to see you on here. Corey
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Loose the 9 twist in favor of a 10 twist and you wont grind up those soft Bergers before they clear the barrel. Other than that, Id do as Rock Z said and contact Len, or his smith.
Id also be interested in some feedback on his rifles. Ive looked at the add about 50 times. Be nice to here from a real customer how the whole proscess was. Im guessing if Len has his name on it/ associated with it its gonna be something of quality, but I wanna know about the customer point of view how they are to work with. And how receptive they are to thier customers questions and needs etc.
Good luck with your build

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalle "Cully" Hyrkas View Post
I am going to order a 300wsm from Len and need help on what the following specifications mean:

Brux Barrels - hand lapped 26 inch stainless match grade barrel, with #5 contour and 9 twist
Premium barrel with a little extra length to get everything out of it and a little on the heavier side but not so bad it will kill you to carry twisted fast for shooting heavy, high BC bullets.
Phoenix Machine custom stainless long action with fluted, oversize bolt handle
Throated for 210 grain Berger VLD bullets
Top shelf custom action, long action chambered in a WSM means you can throat it long and seat the bullet in the right place getting everything out of it you can and still cycle loaded rounds through the mag, over size handle just makes it nicer to operate from behind the gun.
Pinned recoil lug
Holds stuff where it needs to be
Pillar bedded, free floated
Stock is fitted to the action with a bedding agent but the barrel is allowed to free float with no pressure points.
Side bolt stop, release
Front and rear studs with 1 inch Pachmayr Decelerator pad
20 MOA Picatinny scope mounting rail
Rail allows more MOA of travel in your optic because with this rig you will need it all

Can someone help me with this?

Kalle
I don't think a guy could go wrong with Len's rifles, getting a rifle spec'ed out by the best in Long Range Hunting and built by smiths on this site, killer combo!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey Bigngreen,
Thanks a bunch!!! I kinda had a feeling I had figured it out. I was close. But your reply sealed it for me.

Been a bow hunter for the last 30 years (with 30 big game animals in the bag) and had forgotten a lot about rifles. Plus a lot has changed over the last 30. This new love is triggered (no pun intended) by my shooting a caribou in Alaska in September with a 223. Went on a bow hunt - Couldn't close the gap for a bow shot, so took a bull at 301 yards... It's all about bullet placement!

Thanks again,
Kalle