Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I was re-reading this thread. i don't see where you used anything stronger than xyz juice and patches....or Wipeout.

It is simple.

If you have fired a bunch of rounds down the tube, especialy a factory tube, you will have some carbon fouling. There is no cleaning jucie that cleans, removes, disolves, or does ANYTHING to carbon. Carbon needs to be physicly scrubbed out of the bore with either wet bronze brushes or IASSO/JBBore Paste. More often than not you will have copper under the carbon...or many layers of both.

Eventially, the carbon thing will catch up to you. Degridation of accuracy at best.....unexpained PSI trouble at worst.
Wipeout virtually eliminates all copper and carbon fouling. I have confirmed this with a local gunsmith and his borescope on a couple of occasions. He said my bores were the about the cleanest he had ever seen and he has seen a whole lot of barrels. He said there was a trace of carbon left. Some carbon fouling on the metal can be a good thing. Read Lija's thoughts on barrel break in. There are several Bore tech products. Eliminator removes both Copper and Carbon. When I use this, my first couple of patches are usually black, then turn to purple, then blue, showing the majority of carbon is layered down on the copper. Bore Tech also makes CU+2 for copper and C4 for carbon.

You don't really need to do a lot of scrubbing to get carbon out and I will never put another bronze brush down one of my bores again.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abolt View Post
While using the sweets I used a bronze brush with sweets on it about 20 times let sit then alternated wet and dry patches. Followed by several dry patches. Then cleaned with carb cleaner to make sure I got all the sweets out. Then repeated that process. Hope this clears this up. Oh and I put a patch with oil before sticking back in the safe
Ok..I must have missed that. The brushing will zapp most of the carbon. The only issue with the sweets/BRONZE brush combo is that sweets reacts with bronze like it does copper....it will turn blue/purple....giving you a false positive for copper. I (bronze) brush with Butches/shooters choice/ whatever, clean it out good , and then patch in the copper solvent, or NYLON BRUSH , and let sit for 10 - 15 min. If you get blue on your patches when you clean it out , you still got copper. I use brake cleaner when done, but I am sure that carb cleaner would be every bit as good.