Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Wipe Out will remove the copper, and every so often I use Sweets 7.62 to remove everything else Wipe out leaves behind.. Like was mentioned before, be careful with Sweets, I believe the directions say not to leave it in the barrel for more than 15 minutes.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the help, all i could find was sweets so i put in a wet patch, then brushed with sweets on the brush a couple times then waited 10 min and alternated wet and dry about 10 times and then 6 dry patches to clean it out. and then some carb cleaner in the barrel followed with more dry patches with one final patch of oil.

not seeing any copper in the barrel now!!

so now i can load up a few and see how it shoots tomorrow. i have to boretech eliminator comming for next time though. thanks again.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Get some Bore Tech and/or Wipeout. They are the best period and they will not harm your bore like some others might. I have used most of the others and they will leave stubborn copper in the barrel. Bore tech is more labor intensive than Wipeout, but works a lot quicker and a bottle will last a long time.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 PM

went and shot today and it seems it helped the .270. worked up from 56 to 58g of rl-19 with hndy 140g btsp and 58g came in at .3 with 3 shots. also shot the hndy light mags 140g btsp and it shot .2 with 3shots. so its still shooting good
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

Another recomendation for Wipe Out. Make sure you are not using a brass jag to push your patches. Use something like the Bore Tech Proof Positive jags for copper removing solvents.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

I was re-reading this thread. i don't see where you used anything stronger than xyz juice and patches....or Wipeout.

It is simple.

If you have fired a bunch of rounds down the tube, especialy a factory tube, you will have some carbon fouling. There is no cleaning jucie that cleans, removes, disolves, or does ANYTHING to carbon. Carbon needs to be physicly scrubbed out of the bore with either wet bronze brushes or IASSO/JBBore Paste. More often than not you will have copper under the carbon...or many layers of both.

Eventially, the carbon thing will catch up to you. Degridation of accuracy at best.....unexpained PSI trouble at worst.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I was re-reading this thread. i don't see where you used anything stronger than xyz juice and patches....or Wipeout.

It is simple.

If you have fired a bunch of rounds down the tube, especialy a factory tube, you will have some carbon fouling. There is no cleaning jucie that cleans, removes, disolves, or does ANYTHING to carbon. Carbon needs to be physicly scrubbed out of the bore with either wet bronze brushes or IASSO/JBBore Paste. More often than not you will have copper under the carbon...or many layers of both.

Eventially, the carbon thing will catch up to you. Degridation of accuracy at best.....unexpained PSI trouble at worst.

While using the sweets I used a bronze brush with sweets on it about 20 times let sit then alternated wet and dry patches. Followed by several dry patches. Then cleaned with carb cleaner to make sure I got all the sweets out. Then repeated that process. Hope this clears this up. Oh and I put a patch with oil before sticking back in the safe