Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Be carefully with that sweets if you go that route. I have good luck with wipe-out.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Gold Member

Pretty typical on factory barrels, One thing you might want to check is have someone w/ a borescope to look inside to see if there is any rust. If there is then yes you ruin the barrel, from improper cleaning or storage. I've seen this many times w/ blued barrels. Also a 3 piece aluminum rod can damage the barrel quickly if carbon and dirt gets in the joints. Did you use a bore guide? Also if you didn't let it cool completely after 3 shots you can burn the small barrels with those cartridges easily.
Also your rifles are hunting rifles not target rifles so treat them that way, don't shoot targets constantly with them, find a load and put them away, after properly coating the insides w/ oil, then don't forget to patch them dry before shooting again.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM

thanks again for the help, i think i saw some boretech eliminator in the small gun shop here in town, i'll try to pick some up today. I did let some of the hoppes sit in the barrel over night and had lots of blue come out. i will let it sit agian throughout the day and then use the bore tech eliminator probally tomorrow. if i didn't mess them up last night then they should be good to go they both shot good last weekend so hopefully next weekend i can start working up a load for them. thanks again.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Yup Bore tech (I like the CU+2) and you really need to get nylon brushes if your going to use Bore tech, that stuff will eat a bronz brush in short order.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

If a factory bbl..hell, ANY bbl, is that bad, I skip all of the copper juices and go strait to the IASSO or JB paste. FINISH with the stronger copper juice.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member

I like wipeout.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

I like JB Bore Paste fore this job!