Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I'm indecisive. Help me choose a caliber.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: I'm indecisive. Help me choose a caliber.

If you have the savage long action then for $340.00 you can get a 7mag and a 264 mag 26 inch barrels from e r shaw. I have bought 4 different calibers from them and all are very accurate barrels
I bought 264 mag 270 wsm 6.5 rem mag and 300 wsm.
These were in the white I blued them myself.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Nothing wrong with the 308 for what you want to do. 1k paper is a breeze with some of the high BC bullets available. Deer to 800 is a breeze as well. Running 208 amax's you have identical windage as the highly esteemed 260 rem which is known to have excellent wind fighting capabilities but the 208 offers 30% more energy at 1k. When the new Nosler bullets come out the 190 and 210 will redefine the 308's capabilities.

That said, the 260 is a good choice, 243 ok, 708, 284 etc...all will get it done. Don't need 70 grains of powder nor 30 pounds of recoil to do what you want.

I recommend 24-26" for the 308 and 11 or 10 twist. 12 is ok but you will be limited. It will handle the 208s but may not handle the 210 Nosler as will will be quite a bit longer. The 10 twist is for if you ever decide to run some of the heavier mono metal bullets.
Totally agree, only thing I would do different from what you recommend is a longer barrel 28-30 inch. I shoot 600-1000 yards with mine easily.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM

This is my first post to any discussion board EVER...so I hope I am doing it right. I recently finished my build that has been a year in the making and it sounds like choosing your gun/caliber/bullet has created more questions than answers (much like it did me). I am not a pro and by no means an expert but I did find out a lot along the way. I found that in the end that is why there are hundreds of caliber in a reloading manual because one round will do something the other can't. Some calibers do things very closely, and if like myself you wanted something to an all around good job at everything you have to decide what you want it to be. Anyways I say all of that to say I set out some things that were a must when I started building my rifle.

1. I wanted to build on a Savage action so I could install/chang the barrel.
2. I wanted a gun that I could grow to learn to accurately shoot out to 1000+ yards
3. I wanted a caliber that would pretty much cover game from ground hogs to bear.
4. I wanted it to double as a target rifle for punching paper and steel
5. My bullet had to have good down range energy (1000ft/lbs@1K) and provide wind kicking B.C's
6. Easy to reload/find components for and easy to make accurate
7. I wanted a budget build under $1500 (Custom and under $1500 do not work!!!)
8. Moderate recoil that is fun to shoot all day
9. Good barrel life

As I started searching around I found this was a tall order and was much harder than I had originally thought. In the past I had been shooting a .308 with some handloads that was very accurate but I wanted something flatter and faster. I shot at medium ranges of 4-600 yards( a chip shot for the pro's) quite a bit and became addicted when I started ringing steel at 500 consistently.

Long story short after finally deciding 15 times over again I purchased a barrel chambered in .280 rem. I had a savage 110 cheapo that I had picked up for $250. I went with a McGowen 30" barrel, 18 oz trigger job, XLR stock, crazy scope, muzzle brake, cosine ind, level, etc. My budget was completely blown, but at the end of the day you could not pry this rifle from me. I say all of that to say make an informed decision on something you will love and get ALOT of trigger time. I have seen many times a very accurate gun that was inaccurate due to its trigger actuator!.

I returned from the range with a grin from ear to ear, I shot several .3 inch groups while working up ladder loads and found the sweet spot. I was amazed when my chrony gave me a M.V. of 3090fps avg. I am loading 162 AMAX's and H1000, 10 thousandths off the lands. The C.O.L. is a lot longer than the book. I know this is fast but all loads were carefully worked up to and there were no pressure signs (not even close). I guess all the times I had read that a 280 can nip at the heels of 7 mag can be true.

Long first post I know but in the end get what you want, find what will do the best as close as you can get it to and have fun with your new gun whatever it is. In three shooting sessions with my gun I have already had questions/comments like, why that caliber and not this one, I have this and it shoots good, I don't like that round, my dad told me this, if you think that is good you should try this caliber etc. I have also recieved a plethora of questions and a lot of nods of approval lol

Here's a pic (hopefully)
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM

I hope this pic is easier to see.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I'm indecisive.  Help me choose a caliber.-photo.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Wow what a stock!! Tell me about it!!

well reading your post and thoughts with the added word "bear" taken into thought (black bear I'd assume). Here's my take on the .308 and what you are asking for.

* the .308 will for sure shoot nicely out to 1000 yards or so, but it's also about done at those ranges. 30-06 is not much better as well. I think I'd drop down to something like a .280 Remington or a 6.5 something. The 180 grain Amax has a B/C slightly under .50, and in the Hornaday manual they show 2500fps as max (seems a bit slow). A heavy does of 2460 ought to easilly get you 2700fps with the same bullet in a 24" barrel (or RL15 and 2520). On the otherhand a 30-06 will give you about a 100 to 150fps more velocity out of a 24" barrel. I personally like something in between the two.

* now we've hashed over the more common 30's in a standard Mauser bolt head. Let's look at someothers
1. the .280 is just a great round. Very accurate, and there is an extremely good bullet selection to shoose from (7mm). Hornaday gets 2800fps with a 160 grain SST! That bullet has a .55 B/C, and will shoot flatter than the 180 grain 30 calibers while still retaining more velocity down range (meaning more power). The AMAX is claimed to have a B/C of .62 at the same velocity. I see nothing but a winner here!!!

2. the 6.5-06 is another great round (as is the 6.5/.284). Recoil will be slightly milder than the 7mm, and even more milder than the 30's. The B/C of the 140 grain SST is a .52, and their Amax is .55. The 6.5-06 will do 2900fps, and once again a winner. Either of these rounds and the .280 should shoot well out to 1000yards (hell I can't see that far). The nice thing about the 6.5 and to a certain extent the 7mm is that there are some nice light weight bullets for varmiting.. But of these rounds my favorites would be the 7x57AI and the 6.5x57AI Mauser rounds. Both will push 140 grain bullets close to 3000fps with a shorter case and a better fit in the mag well with those long high B/C bullets (better case design as well). I really call out those two as winners!

gary
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Thanks, the stock is an XLR Industries evolution tactical stock. wait time was 10-12 weeks but worth every second. I was referring to black bears for sure since there is no grizz down here in OK (that I know of, LOL). I couldn't agree with you more about the 280 rem, as I love mine. Recoil is plenty soft since I have a break and the rifle tips the scale at 17.5lbs, and the recoil is far less than my 308 shooting heavies.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyrcz06 View Post
Thanks, the stock is an XLR Industries evolution tactical stock. wait time was 10-12 weeks but worth every second. I was referring to black bears for sure since there is no grizz down here in OK (that I know of, LOL). I couldn't agree with you more about the 280 rem, as I love mine. Recoil is plenty soft since I have a break and the rifle tips the scale at 17.5lbs, and the recoil is far less than my 308 shooting heavies.
honestly for black bear and deer (I used to live near Lawton) the .257 Roberts would work fine with proper bullet selection, but I think the sevens would be a tad better. The 57mm case length dosn't work well in a Remington short action even though they've chambered it from time t time. OK with light and short bullets but not those 117 grain ones. A Savage is a little longer (about .150") and ought to work fine. But none of the 30-06 case lengths will work in the short actions. You must havea long action.

The 7x57AI is Ackley's best improved round (he said that more than once). It will give you ballistics right up there with a .280 Remington out of a mid sized case length. Has the desired longer neck and sharp shoulder angle. Barrel ought to be good for at least 2,000 rounds. Fire form cases by firing factory 7x57 rounds thru the barrel. What you'll end up with in the end is a .257 Ackley necked up to 7mm. Of course you could simply chamber a 6.5/.284, but I'd rather have the smaller diameter case. The samething could be said about the 6.5AI round as well, I might add.
gary