Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I'll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 01:34 PM

I\'ll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

I am doing some load development right now. I am shooting a .264 with A-max bullets aginst the lands. What I am noticing is that as I vary my loads I am ALWAYS getting 2 shots hooked together and the 3rd flying away from the group. Varying the load will bring the 3rd shot in with the others.
What I am wondering though,could I control the dispersion by seating depth instead.
Or is this just another situation where there are not any typical circumstances, and all guns will react differently?
If the dispersion can be controlled by seating depth I think I may have a pretty consistent powder range to work with.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I\'ll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

frankg

when you say away from the group are the vertical, horizontal or no set pattern?

Vertical will normally mean come up or down on powder, you are off the tuning node.

Horizontal is wind.

Check the bedding also.

BH
Old 01-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Let me ask you this, is bullet #3 always in the same place?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

What do you get with a 10 shot group? How long between shots? Is the barrel heating up?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:27 PM

I would say almost all verticle,with the 3rd shot in the same place relative to the other shots.I havn't tried 10 shots with this powder yet.From what I am hearing I need to keep testing with the powder and get a more consistent pattern.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

As stated above, vertical stringing can be caused by a need to vary the powder charge, too much variance in your charges in any given string, or, could be due to an inconsistency in return to battery. With horizontal strings, it's usually wind or a heavy trigger, or, possibly, bedding. If you are getting a tight group with a triangular pattern, bbl harmonics are at play and you should vary your charge up and down 1/2gr at a time until you hit the sweet spot. Good luck.

TH