Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

If you couldn't load your own ammunition...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

If you couldn't load your own ammunition...

If you couldn't load/reload your own ammunition, what would you buy off the shelf?

I'm not at a point that I can start to load my own stuff yet. I don't have any of the equipment, nor do I even know how to use any of it. I'm wondering what some of you would do if you suddenly could no longer reload your own stuff and had to buy off the shelf to use for hunting.

I've got a few I'm looking at but thought I would wait to see what some of you said. Thanks for your time.

Darby
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: If you couldn't load your own ammunition...

Do you mean which chambering or which factory load in a given chambering?

Last edited by NomadPilot; 05-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

depends on what you were looking to do with it. some of my top choices would be 223, 308, 300wm, 270, 280, 7rm.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
if you couldn't load/reload your own ammunition, what would you buy off the shelf?
buckshot...
Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
If you couldn't load/reload your own ammunition, what would you buy off the shelf?

I'm not at a point that I can start to load my own stuff yet. I don't have any of the equipment, nor do I even know how to use any of it. I'm wondering what some of you would do if you suddenly could no longer reload your own stuff and had to buy off the shelf to use for hunting.

I've got a few I'm looking at but thought I would wait to see what some of you said. Thanks for your time.

Darby
If your talking about ammo I would recomend buying one box each from different ammo makers
(Rem ,Win , Fed, Hornady ETC. and try them in your rifle to see which ammo it prefers.

Pick the bullet weight you would like to hunt with and stay at or near that weight while testing.

Some times you can find a brand of factory ammo that realy performs in a particular rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

i would try hsm ammo The Hunting Shack Ammunition or gunwerks ammo Gunwerks - Long Range Ammunition both use the berger vld bullets
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

+1 with J.E., pick whatever shoots best out of your rifle in the given bullet wt you want to shoot.
That being said, I personaly have had great results with Federal Fusion in everything I tried them in. They are a great bonded bullet. Ive used them for deer bear and elk and have 0 complaints on thier performance in the field.
Id also look into Hornady Superformance and Hornady ''Custom'' ammo. All three IMO offer great bullets for hunting, and are priced less than some of the other premium ammo. Nosler Custom is rumored to be pretty good too.
Invest in loading equipment asap, as its cheaper, and usually alot better for accuracy than off the shelf stuff, but if your in a tight spot, I personally would look hard at the 3-4 brands mentioned.
Good luck, and let us know what you wind up with.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"