Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ice on your barrel???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Gold Member

Ice on your barrel???

Will icing down your barrel between groups to cool it faster damage your barrel?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ice on your barrel???

I've done it before during the summer months and never saw any issues after doing it. Of course, I am doing it to stainless steel custom barrels and not factory ones.

Kevin
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358sta View Post
I've done it before during the summer months and never saw any issues after doing it. Of course, I am doing it to stainless steel custom barrels and not factory ones.

Kevin
Mine is a factory stainless.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

You shouldn't have to go to such extremes.

I'm not quite sure how it benefits you to do so.

I would recommend a different rifle, barrel, or shooting regimine.

I'd suggest you get a 22LR to practice with while your sporter cools down.

If you need to speed it up a little, I've seen people use an air pump and hose to blow fresh air through the bore.

-- richard
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I would be leary of doing that, the reason being is that you are not going to be able to cool the surface of the barrel evenly over the entire lengthand could cause it to contract at a differnt rate in one spot compared to another. As a millwright when I am installing bearings and I need to heat the bearing or cool the housing on an interference fit I submerge the entire part or bearing into either hot oil or a mix of alchohol and dry ice to ensure even temperature distribution. Not too sure if it's as big a deal when compared to a rifle barrel or not but thats my opinion.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman73 View Post
I would be leary of doing that, the reason being is that you are not going to be able to cool the surface of the barrel evenly over the entire lengthand could cause it to contract at a differnt rate in one spot compared to another. As a millwright when I am installing bearings and I need to heat the bearing or cool the housing on an interference fit I submerge the entire part or bearing into either hot oil or a mix of alchohol and dry ice to ensure even temperature distribution. Not too sure if it's as big a deal when compared to a rifle barrel or not but thats my opinion.
That's what I was afraid of. To be honest I've been doing it for a few years without giving it much thought but for some reason I've been thinking about it lately. I do it because here in the AZ. heat it takes forever for your barrel to cool. When testing loads I have to cool between each group and it takes to long without ice. It can take 45 minutes to cool and considering I have to drive 1-2 hours each way and another hour to setup and take down I don't get much shooting done if I have to wait on the barrel to cool. It's even worse if I am helping friends figure out their stuff.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I would worry about condensation forming inside the BBL...