Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

Re: i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

Ever think about the new Savage 110FCP in 300 win mag? It comes with a muzzle break already on it. I'd junk the stock, and put it in a McMillan A-5. Shouldn't have much recoil after that even with 210gr berger VLD's.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Thought about calibers other than the bigger flavors?

I built a 6.5x55 AI for a long range bench gun and it has provided excellent accuracy. Next rifle that I build will be another 6.5x55 AI but in the carry gun category so that I can hunt with it. Plan on going with a light varmint or heavy sporter contour, 28" barrel, and a B & C carbelite stock. With scope, this should come in at 8 pounds and not produce thumping recoil.

The high BC 140/142 gr bullets will provide excellent down range ballistics and, depending on bullet selection, be excellent for taking continental U.S. game.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

i have been building a custom rifle from a savage it will be heavy and havea break and hopefully i can shoot it all day.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Gold Member

I also had a back injury, (weight lifting,) exercise helps me a lot, (kickboxing.) I actually don't have back problems unless I stop beating on my punching bags.

Just thought I would add that.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathank View Post
i have been building a custom rifle from a savage it will be heavy and havea break and hopefully i can shoot it all day.

Good luck on the build! I have a muzzle brake on my 7mm RUM from Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing, he frequents here. Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge and Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting also make excellent brakes.
My 7RUM is a sporter weight and before it was braked, it had the sharpest recoil of any rifle I have shot. With the brake, a child could shoot it. It is extremely loud and hearing protection is a must. The other two brakes I mentioned should offer similar recoil reduction, so the Knoxx stock won't be needed. Just be sure the Savage is properly bedded and you use a high quality scope as those very efficient brakes are also very hard on poorly bedded rifles and poor quality scopes and mounts.
I have had several back surgeries over the years but I feel better now at 38 than I ever did in my 20's back wise. I can shoot anything I want including 375 H&H and 3 1/2" 12 ga turkey loads with no back pain. Hang in there and get the proper medical help you need for your back.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM

The 6.5x55 is considered THE moose cartridge in Finland. It is extremely accurate, mild in report and recoil and because of its' high sectional density it penetrates deeply. You do not need a cannon for long range moose hunting.

On the subject of back injuries, my dog is bigger than your dog. I had a compression fracture of T10, Kyphoplasty to repair it, contracted MRSA infection, 3 surgeries, 5 months in hospital, T10,11,12,L1,2,3 all fused into one. I cannot bend at the waist.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

12 yrs old going 70 on a 3 wheeler??

skywalker