Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

i have been taking advil for inflamation and using a giant rubber band to strengthen it . the doctors told me to do it ha. i shoot from all shooting positions. its injured like just below my shoulder blades there is spine damage .
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

So you fractured some vertebrae? T8-T9?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

no they werent fractured not that i know of just damaged somehow and now it hurts all the time.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know exactly how you're hurt, but allow me to share this.

I am 34 years old about 5 years ago I had back surgery twice for herniated disc's(again this may have no bearing on your problem). Both times I woke up completely pain free, and it was out patient surgery so Hospital stay. I guess what I'm trying to tell you from my experience is that I wouldn't be overly concerned about surgery unless you have a good reason. My injuries were also ATV (racing) related.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

I too have injured my back.Twice.First time 20 years old from a motorcoss jumping accident. Second time 38 years old a work related injury.both times I had surgery. both times woke up pain free. Get yourself the best docters you can find or afford. Inow shoot a 300rum with no brake. some of my shooting sessions last for 6 hours with 50 plus rounds fired . no pain in my back at all. your not getting youger. Don't think your to young for surgery. get some more opinions from differnt docters. Pain sucks. been there .done that. Gets alot worse the older you get.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

nathank ,
My advice is exercise and stretching -we have become a very lazy society -some people think that because they do a little work -there is no need to do anything else.
Our ancestors did WAY more work walking -chopping wood -hunting -making 10 kids-etc. than 99% us modern folks ,get on a workout program -sit-ups will do wonders for a bad back.
They help support your body when you're in the upright position.

I'm 48yrs old and broke my back 4yrs ago on a step-up jump riding moto-x -over jumped a huge triple and landed on the take off of the next jump -two compression burst vertabras and damage to two fiberous disc's -it's all fused into one big disc now -so i still ride!!

Broke my neck playing high school football -so again -you must execise to keep your mobilty.
Don't listen to people telling you to take pills -don't move if it hurts -etc. -you're young get out there and get going -you'll be a new man in three months.

I laid around for a couple of years after breaking my back -big mistake -now i work out 3-4 times per week and never felt better -start working out and get a 338 AM -no brake ...

Last edited by ol mike; 09-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

For a reduction in recoil, I would look at a .300 WSM or .300 Winchester Mag with a break. I think an Ultra mag with a break is still going to kick about like a .300 WSM without, or maybe in the 7mm to 30-06 recoil. Which might effect your back.

Perhaps a .270 WSM with a break if your really worried about the recoil.

I have a Remingon 700 CDL Stainless Fluted with an HS stock. Its a descent rifle.

I personally would like to do some work to mine. I'm thinking Sako extractor and Lilja barrel along with a Jewell trigger. Hate the Remington extractor.

You could definitely get a 700 SPS, a stock, a break, and do a barrel and "accurizing" for around $1500.

Or you could buy a Sako? While I think the Sako are a fine quality rifle, I think the Remington with some work done would out shoot it. I do really like the Finnlight. Feels great in my hands.