Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

i have some back problems from a atv accident. but i want to build a rifle that i can use for hunting at some long ranges, and for target practice at long ranges. i want a large caliber cause i will be hunting moose and possibly elk.

i want to build my rifle using a knoxx axiom stock because it reduces recoil alot. i think this with a muzzle break coulld reduce the recoil enough for me to shoot a large caliber rifle and be able to shoot it more than one shot in a session .

so my question is what parts would you use to build a rifle for an affordable price around that stock. so i need either a remington action or a weatherby.

so should i buy a rifle and change the just the stock, or should i buy all custom parts??
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

Well their is alot to be said for some of the off the rack guns , a factory rem 700 in 300 RUM will cleanly kill elk and moose out past 600yds , a factory gun with a good brake in 300 RUM will be very controlable and the recoil will be reasonably mild.

Their is a 300 Wby mag with scope for a good deal down in the ads , its chambered for 300 Wby which is a small tick below the 300 RUM but stuill very cabible of killing big game bas the 500yd mark , its got a good brake and the recoil is mild , I highly doubt that another stock would be needed.

How far are you planning to shoot Elk and Moose

What is your budget
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

well i think 600-700 yards max next season after a year of practise at the range. what would the max range of a .308 be.

my budget is around 1500.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

nathank, I can't offer too much advice on a rifle,but, I might be able to help you with your back. It might open up your possibilities.

What was you injury? When? What do you do for it? How old are you?

P.M. if you like.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

i crashed a three wheeled atv going about 70 rolled it three times, flew 20 feet, hit the ground so hard that my shoes and one of my socks came off haha. it was 8 years ago. i have tried everything i have been in physio gone to cyropracters , i have been told the only thing that will help is surgery but im too young. im 20 years old. i can shoot some heavy calibers but only a few shots before my back starts to hurt and i want to do lots of target shooting in the off season and then some long range hunting.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

im thinking of starting with a remington 700 sps in 300 rem mag, putting it in a knoxx axiom stock, putting in a new trigger, then in maybe a year putting a shillen barrel.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

What part of your back is injured?

What position are you shooting from?

What are you doing for the injuries?