Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I-Touch/I-Phone question about "Ballistic" software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

I-Touch/I-Phone question about "Ballistic" software

My shooting buddy called and said he downloaded Ballistic for his I-Touch. It seems like a good program although I haven't seen it in person.

The question I have, for anyone that uses this software, is this:
He says that it shows a drop for any range you want to see but he can't find anywhere that it will show the scope adjustment for a given range. What I mean is that it will show 18" drop but it doesn't show the scope adjustment needed for that range. He has to do the math in his head to figure the scope adjustment.

Is this feature really there and he just can't find it or is this just the way that Ballistic works?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I-Touch/I-Phone question about "Ballistic" software

I use the KAC Bulletflight software on my IPhone.

It will tell me how many clicks as well as how many MOA, or MILS depending on how I have it set.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Tell him to scroll down to the output options touch elevation and he can choose what he wants it to convert to. There is six or so options. I use ballistic alot and it is a pretty good program. Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me I've gotten pretty good with it.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

I have both Ballistic and Bulletflight. I find I use BulletFlight almost exclusively. It allows all your hunting rifles to be pre-entered with all the details of the load you will be using in the field and the conditions for when the rifle was zeroed. In the field one just picks the rifle being used to day from the list and enters the conditions for the shot. The output is in the form of scope corrections in MOA (or units of your choice) for the distance and conditions now compared to conditions when it was zeroed, which is exactly what I want to know when taking a shot on game.

I have the version of BulletFlight that is one notch down from the most expensive one and like it a lot.

Fitch
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

I read several threads on LRH and it seemed like a lot of guys were very happy with Ballistic. I also found the same thing on other sites and I told him about Ballistic. Well, he bought it and now finds that the only thing it shows him is a chart type display that shows the drop for different ranges. Evidently there is no way in Ballistic to simply input the range and get a readout on the screen for the necessary scope adjustments.

Hind sight is great and now, after looking at Bulletflight I see that evidently it does offer what Ballistic doesn't. I find it really weird that Ballistic would program in all the bells and whistles but not give you the ability to input a yardage and see the scope adjustment needed.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Give iStrelok a try. It is free and does what I think you are asking. Just input the load data, set the range and wind and press calculate. It gives drop and wind in moa, mils, inches, and clicks.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I talked to him last night and he had downloaded Bulletflight and said it does what he needs and it's also way cheaper than Ballistic. He's already got data for several guns in it and is a happy camper. Now we'll just have to get out and do some shooting and compare it to my LoadBase, which is the "Gold Standard" when it comes to ballistics software.