Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Gold Member
Re: I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

I'm going to have to support the masses on the Nosler BT. The 55 grainers out of my 243 will absoulutly liquify a prarie dog!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
That may just be the understatement of the century.
I shot a medium sized coyote with one at just under 200yds. The only thing holding the two halves together was a 3" wide piece of skin.

Unread 05-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

GG I was going to use the 40 V-max with this load to start since I have them already but it is good to know you have tried them. Well I guess I will not be trying this load out tomorrow. I went to a couple of places and they were all out of RL-10x. They are supposed to be getting some in next week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] At least my 220 MatchKings for my 300 Win came in after 4 weeks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Well I will keep you guys posted on what happends with this load. Thanks Again Everyone!!!
Fast, Flat, and Accurate
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

I shoot the 55gr H.P. bullets and the groundhogs I shoot blow-up with those H.P. bullets. I don't think they would be any good for rabbits they would blow-up also with my 22-250.
Unread 05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Dekor, those jacks get pretty big. I went to the 55g bullets to get more blow up. The Sierra 55g Regular Blitz is fantastic when loaded with n-133 or 135. With either powder, the accuracy load seems to be right at a max load. These powders can vary a little from lot to lot, so I hesitate to give you what my rifle likes. I did get best results using a Rem 7 1/2 primer or a BR-4 with IMI brass. I was getting close to 22/250 Velocities with my 25" bbl.

A jackrabbit should look like a handgrenade went off in him at close range, and should be just about cut in half at 200 yards with the 55g Blitz at a muzzle velocity of 3350. The 50g std blitz is unreal also with loaded to 3500 on jacks, but there is a lot more blow up effect with the 55's.

You had a question on the Hornady 55g SX, yes it is a great bullet, and I can not say that it is more or less explosve than the 55g Sierra Blitz. I got stuck on the Sierra Blitz due to the extreme accuracy. I won a Benchrest match with a 22 PPC shooting 50g Sierra Blitz with an agg of .189 at 100 yards only. The 50g Sierra blitz really makes a mess out of a coyote, but I still prefer the 55 blitz on coyotes and Jackrabbits.

If you are interested in shooting the poly tip bullets, I did a test for PMC Ammunition a few years back Shooting ground squirrels. Their ballistician loaded 250 each of the 50g Nosler ballistic tips, 50g blitz kings, and 50g Hornady V max. The PMC Pres and I shot 250 straight of each type before going to the next type of bullet. The hands down winner was the Sierra Blitz king, with the V-Max being fairly close, and the Nosler Ballistic tips being a distant third. We judged the bullets on how far up in the air the squirrel was lanuched, or sideways launches. The Sierra blitz king simply is in a class by itself.

I have never shot a jackrabbit with a blitz king bullet to give you a comparrison. Part of the fun is trying different types of bullets and seeing for yourself what you like.

I can not say enough good about the N-133 and 135 powders for the 223 using the 50 and 55g bullets. I have gotten the best velocity along with accuracy, with benchmark coming a close second but with 125-150fps less velocity.

Good luck
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

I'll put in my two cents and a plug for Bereger , I shoot the 35 and 45gr MEF bullets out of a 222Rem with good results always a big splat considering the velocity.
Out of my 22-250Ai I like the 55 and 60gr class bullets , the 52gr A-max has a pretty good pop to it as does the the 64gr Berger MEF bullet
If you give them a call and ask for Carl he will likly send you several bullets to try , unless he's gotten in trouble for it lately , he was a huge help when I was working with the Berger VLD's
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

The most explosive .224 bullet on the planet is the Hornady 50 grain SPSX. I have tried the rest and just keep coming back to it. It doesn't look like much but when it exits a bunny you can expect 6" exit holes. On a digger squirrel it will either blow them to bits or when you get out a ways it will stretch out a 10" squirrel to over 3' long. Birds shot with it will turn into an exploded feather pillow with very few parts coming down. No plastic tip bullet comes close.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Unread 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

I've been on 3 separate P-dog hunting trips to S. Dakota. My local gun dealer hosts the excursion for his loyal customers. 16 hunters brought all types of weapons from 22 pistols up to the dealers L82A1. Almost all of us are handloaders and we were able to evaluate each persons recipe for the ultimate 22 cal varmint round. The Blitzkings are the top dog, no doubt about it. 55g blitzers out of a 22-250 made more devistation than a 50 cal does at 250 yards. We have a running "chunk spread" contest with $50 entry fee, blitzers have won last 2 years. I've cooked up something special this year for the contest, 338 Lapua Magnum with hornadays 200 grain ballistic tip bullet travelling at 3200fps. The record is 15 feet of side to side max spread from the center of the red spot. But for regular hunting I use the v-max 55gr moly on 26g of varget in my bushy varminter. I'm bringing 6 different bullets for my bushy- Midway dogtowns, hornaday vmax and sp/sx, sierra blitzkings and matchkings, and some frangible stuff, just to see what happens! Always remember, speed=expansion=explosion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Beware the fury of a patient man....

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..