Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

Well here is the run down. Tonight I was using my 223 loaded with 50gr Rem Power Lock HP's leaving the muzzle at 3280FPS. I shot 3 Jacks tonight and I will tell you what happend on each one. The first jack was facing me at 227 yards. I put the hairs on his chest pulled the trigger and he flipped back words. About two seconds later he got up ran around in about a 2ft circle then fell over kicked a little bit and I ended up putting another bullet into him to finish him off. Rabbit # 2 was at 301 yards broadside so I put the hairs on his shoulder and let it fly. When the bullet hit he flipped on his side then got up ran about 10 yards did a circle and died. I walked out there and sure enough the shot was right behind the shoulder and he had blood dripping out his nose so I got the lungs for sure. I flipped him over and the exit hole was not very big at all maybe the size of a penny. Rabbit #3 was at 257 yards broadside I put the hairs behind the shoulder again when I shot he went down and did not get back up but he flipped around for about 15 seconds that one I did not go look at. I thought the Rem HP was supposed to be explosive? Anyone have any advice? I have never used these before. Anyone have a bullet they like for 223 velocity's? I know all the rabbits died but you would think with a varmit bullet you would have more bang flop effect on a Jack.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

I've shot simular game with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips pushed by 25gr of Varget (at closer ranges)(40 - 100 yards) that had exit wounds about the size of a tennis ball. They seem to work just fine out of my ARs.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

The ballistic tips work good. I have also had good luck with Calhoon Bullets on rock chucks.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Dakor I saw the most awsome splat effect on a rabbit yesterday and it was with a 150 scirrocco out of a 7 mag at around 3000 fps Talk about red mist!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oh yea you were using 223. I would suggest nosler BT's they have a great splat effect!!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Look hard at those Calhoons. They are built around "splat factor". They don't shoot well in my mini so I don't use them but Gone and Dave in Idaho have good luck with them and they do make soup. I'm using 55gr Bal tips in the mini and the accuracy is legendary for a stock gun. I actually dont have any splat time on critters bigger than ground squirrels with them so I don't know what they would do on a rabit at those ranges. Bulk winchester 55gr soft points from a .223 at 25 yards make rabits look like an explosion in a pillow factory [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and they are cheap.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

I almost forgot. If you have a slow twist and I'm assuming you do with 50 grainers try some wildcat 45 grain with the open hollow point or the 52's with a little smaller HP. They worked great in my 22.250 on a cat but I was at higher velocities. I might be willing to send you a handful to try if you want. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

I have a box of 55gr Ballistic Tips I could try that I used to use in a swift I had. The guy that use to own the rifle said it really likes Hornady 55gr SXSP's. I have never tried them anyone know if they like to blow up?. 7RUMLoader I would take you up on your offer but I have had a bullet order in for over 5 1/2 months with Wildcat bullets and I still do not have what I ordered. So my fear is if you sent some to me I would end up liking them and I would not be able to get them. But thanks for the offer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will also take a look at Calhoon Bullets. I went to his website and his prices for custom bullets are cheap. Looks like a good deal to me. Thanks for the input everyone!