Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I need some ideas. Strange groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Silver Member
Re: I need some ideas. Strange groups

I think parallax had something to do with it. I also think the trigger had something to do with it (as well as the trigger-er). I checked the pull and it was almost 7#??? on a rifle that is supposed to come set from the factory at 3#. I think something was sticking. I finally got it set at 3# but I decided to order a Jewell trigger for it. Talk about something really making a difference. I set it at 1# 5oz (matches my 7 mag) and now "trigger control" becomes a matter of making my self pull the trigger and not tap it. I also think that the loads had something to do with it. Once all of the variables lined up the gun started shooting very nicely.

Anyway- the rifle finally settled down enough for me to make a nice 285 shot on a deer. I should mention that I wasn't expecting to shoot any farther than 100 yards but this years hunt was a little tough so I had to take what I could get. I made the shot prior to changing the trigger. I haven't been to the range with the VTR since I changed the trigger. Just my brother-in-laws place to play.
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member