Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I need some help picking a tac style stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

I need some help picking a tac style stock

I'm acumulating the parts to have a deer killing machine built but I'm stuck on which stock to choose. I like the looks of the McMillan A-3 but I have heard the delivery time is around 8 months. Anyone have a similar stock and happy with the performance and delivery time? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Here's what I've chosen so far:
-Surgeon WSM repeater action with Surgeon bottom metal
-Lilja 28" barrel 1-9 twist
-chambered in 7SAUM (hopefully with Kirby's hybred throat)
-Leupold scope (not 100% on which one)

Thank you for your time,

SEMPER FI
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I need some help picking a tac style stock

I struggled just like you. I looked at many stock manufacturers. I decided on a laminate and ended up working with Joel Russo. Russo Rifle Stocks.com His website is not complete but he will send you some pics of your options and work with you. I opted for the A3-L stock. Quote:

"You may want to look at my A-3L which has a traditional butt end and might aide you with your bag placement in the field."

The next problem was what color? I almost went for the gray/brown but ended up with black/brown.

I don't have it yet so can't comment on final product. I have read of others being happy with their Russo stocks and doubt I'll have any issues.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Try Joel Russo here on the board. He can make any style in laminated (finished and bedded or unfinished)

He has been making some great A5s

Going to put him on the spot and say delivery time should be under 30 days.

BH
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

I highly reccomend Joel's stocks , I've used several of his A5L's in the past , I like them moreso than alot of the synthetics because you can shape the grip a little bit more to fit your hand perfectly

here are two of the last ones I did ,

notice in this pic how the grip section is worked out , this is so that it fills my hand alot better

But if you must have a synthetic stock I would go with a Manners composite , they are a board sponser here and their T4A is everybit the stock that that McMillan is and then some , his lead time are probably alot shorter also.
here is my 308 working gun with a T4-A , its curently on its way back to me from getting a new paint job from Manners
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
PUBLISHER

Tom Manner's lead time is close to 2 months.

Here is my new T-2 stock. I like it enough that I ordered several more.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors