Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I need a refresher on load development.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2003, 05:32 PM

I need a refresher on load development.

I have a new box of Hornady SST 140gr and on a recommendation from the 1000yard guy at the gun store I picked up a box of match grade magnum primers.(Why didn't I think of that.) And I have a jug of 4831sc xtreem. I am pursuing a more accurate hunting load for my .264 win mag improved bench gun.
I'll start by just bumping the bullets up aginst the lands.Fill with a light load,fire 3 shots,chronograph,record group and conditions,check for pressure. Increase by 1 grain and repeat.Keep increasing untill I have pressure or the group falls apart.Once I find the best load I can pursue fine tuning with the seating depth or, if the best group is terrible I can abandon this combination all together.
Please feel free to offer opinions.I am trying to learn. AND I realize there may be more that one method which works.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: I need a refresher on load development.

Not too much wrong here, other than I'd venture the opinion that 1gr increments are bit steep, even for a larger case like the .264 Win Mag. 1/2 gr steps are plenty.

Some people pick a powder from the loading manual w/ the bullet they choose to work w/, start at the manuals recommend minimum load and start working their way up. Not entirely a bad idea, and probably the safest overall. Just may go thru a butt-load of components getting from the min load to what ever maximum is in your gun (may be more than what the manual shows).

Another one I use a lot, and the normal disclaimer here, I'm not necessarily saying its a good idea, just that it is what I do. I pick a powder from the manual for the bullet I have on hand, see what the max listed load is, then back down about a grain to a grain and a half and start there, working up in 0.3gr increments, up to and perhaps a little over the listed max, depending on the gun. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Finally, try doing a search on 'OCW' or Optimal Charge Weight on the forums at www.accuratereloading.com, www.snipershide.com, among others (can't remember if the guy has a thread here on it). Probably a bit into the 'advanced' load development, but it might float your boat anyway.

HTH,

Monte
Old 01-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

I use the ladder method too.

1/2gr step up per round to max load with ten rounds while plotting impact spot for each shot on paper to see which loads group together and at what velocity.

This is how you can target the sweet spot in your rifle. If a rifle has a stable load range with this powder, it should produce at least a promising 3 shot group from this test which can be confirmed and fine tuned with OAL and charge wt variations to better match barrel time.

This is alot faster and uses less ammo to find the spot too.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:53 AM

Brent,ladder method huh? If this works it is WAY superior to what I usually do.Looks like I may have a new way of testing loads.
Thanks a lot.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

go to date 12-19-02 on this sight under bullets, ballistic etc and see a link for detailed explanation of audette/ladder method. "Best explanation" you can find. About 20 pages with photos.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

frankg

Think I would try fed 210s also. Most have found they give better ES than 215s or other mag primers in that size case, especially with 4831 sc.

Good luck

BH
Old 01-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Something to look at along the way while testing too. The ladder method works very well, you will get workable results. The way you have been doing it will work, just take much more ammo and at 1gr steps you "could" miss a good load.

Link that BH refered to