Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I need help with barrel understanding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: I need help with barrel understanding

O.K.! RockCreek It Shall Be! Can't wait to get started on this next project! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

N S
I think you'll be very happy with that choice. I've spent some time at Mike's shop as well and he is one meticulous man, not happy till it's perfect.
I have two of his barrels, one on a project I'm just finishing up and another in the closet waiting for funds for an action.
Chris
Old 07-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

JD
Im a little slow on your reply but maybe this will help
Bench rest shooters seem to like hand cut rifle barrels with 3 or 5 groove.
The way it was explained to me what the barrel did to the bullet affected it greatly
once it leaves the crown because of balance
at extreme RPMs .
In other words Bench shooters like no freebore{most accurate way to engrave a bullet] hand cut rifleing in 3,5 and 7 groove {odd number grooves,splines,blades,spokes,etc all tend to be more balanced at higher rpms}
and a single point cut crown.
I am a hunter and some of these things are not practical "ie" No freebore, but the best
barrel is a great place to start.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

To Chris Hey i shoot a 6x284,could those two barrel makers have a high velocity BBL for my application? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Bronze Member

Another option is Border Barrels from Scotland he makes 5R rifling licensed to Boots Obermeyer
Old 08-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am not sure about the 5r style of barrel but personally, I have used enough 3 groove Lilja barrels to know they are very impressive performers.

I have used them in rounds like a 30" 1-8" 6mm-284 loaded with the 107 gr Sierra Mk to 3600 fps.

I have also used them in the 257 STW with a 1-10" that are getting 4100 fps with the 100 gr Ballsitic Tip and TSX as well as 3700 fps with the 115 gr Ballsitic Tip and partition.

They are fast, tight bored barrels and the stainless barrels have really seemed to stand up well to the hell on barrels, 257 STW. Several of the rifles I have built at runnin gup close to 1000 rounds and still shooting well under 1 moa. Of course they all started out in the 1/4 to sub 1/2 moa range but still with that kind of load, one would expect to get some accuracy loss in 1000 rounds.

Just one smiths opinion, I see no need to go with anything else as they have always made my customers and myself extremely happy.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

Well why not talk to our very own barrel maker on this forum.. JR from Border Barrels, i have a 21.5" 30-06 5R from him that beats the previouse standard rifling(was a custom bbl) by a good 50fps despite bieng a good couple of inches shorter. I can recomend border barrels, support the guys who support or frequent this web site..
Pete