Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I keep cleaning and nothing changes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I keep cleaning and nothing changes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
So I have been cleaning my, new to me......340 Weatherby Mag Alaskan. It has a nickel coated stainless bbl. Anyways I disassembled the gun to clean it. The bolt and inside the stock everything was very very clean. I don't think the gun was ever hunted.

The problem is, I have been working on the inside of the barrel for 6 hours now. I have ran a good 40+ patches and scrubbed the barrel with a brush 3 times. I have been using Shooters Choice patches, and then 2 patches of Sweets 7.62(or whatever the number) then coat the brush with Sweets. I then scrub for 10 strokes, then let the gun sit for 20-30 minutes. Then run more and more patches of Shooter's choice. The patches are still coming out blue. dark blue after scrubbing and then lighten up but never going clean.

So When I bought this gun I had the place scope the gun (supposedly) and they said the barrel looked great. I bought the gun sight unseen other than pictures. Like I said the gun is in fantastic shape but I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. I am wondering of the guy who owned the gun before me lost accuracy so he traded it. I am thinking the barrel could have been fouled because no way did someone that knows guns let this barrel get this bad.

When do I know when to stop cleaning? Is the stainless barrel having something to do with it? I have never had a stainless gun before so I don't know what to expect.
Hey Sako, it sounds like you are doing things right, but as was mentioned, you are getting at least some reaction from the brushes. When I've he'd to clean something like that, ( which usually isnt mine), I dig out the JB bore cleaner. Also, if it is severely fouled, I learned a long time ago, that if you boil some water, and pour it down the barrel, get it good and hot, and while it's hot use the JB bore cleaner, it works amazing. The heat, opens the pores of the steel, and let's the cleaner get more of it out. I have done this also with liquid cleaners as well, and it really makes it work then. Give that a try, I think you will get it clean then. It dosen't harm the barrel, but just don't bang it around while it's hot. I usually rest the barreled action across a couple of sand bags while doing this! Hope this helps! Take care buddy!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Another Wipe-Out user here. I like the stuff cause it seems to work A-OK
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

This will save you a lot of work. My worst rifle for fouling cleans up in an hour with this, everything else takes over a day, and BTE+2 doesn't stink either.
Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover Bore Cleaning Solvent 16oz Liquid
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

In 1982 I made a blueing tank and every year I dissasemble all of my guns and boil the action and barrels in distilled water. As I take each piece out of the tank I give it a vigirous shake and hang it up the heat evaporates any left over water. I then (before the barrels cool) bronse brush the barrels oil and reassemble. You would not believe the grud that boiling removes. The actions need oiling then also as the boiling effectively degreases everything.
I dont believe that I have any fouling problems as my accuacy has not changed.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Bore Tech Eliminator and nickel jags so the jag doesn't show blue. Follow instructions. Easy.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

I really dont think I am getting false reads on the patches. I had to use my 7mm jag so I have to use doubled up patches. The inside patch is clean. Only the outside patch shows blue. I have to head to my dads today. I am going to see what he has for cleaners. Meanwhile I going to soak it down good in Kroil while I am gone.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Bore Tech products are great. They're all I use now.