Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I have a SHAW barrel ordered - what can I expect out of it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: I have a SHAW barrel ordered - what can I expect out of it?

I'm curious how many shots it takes to complete the process.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
Depends on your definition of complete and how rough the bore is to start. The more you shoot the smoother it should get...for better or worse.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
They come with different grits and you of course shoot from coarse to fine. I'm not sure how many bullets are in the package? Maybe someone else can chime in on this that has used them......rich
Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

I just got the low-down on tubb's final finish "bore lapping" bullets, which are basically bullets that have been rolled between 2 steel plates, forcing various sizes of valve-grinding grit to become embedded in them. They come in boxes of 50, with 10 each of 5 progressive grits. But the word on them isn't very encouraging, as they wear down the barrel, ESPECIALLY the throat area, at a highly accelerated rate. They "may" improve accuracy in the short term, but it is at the cost of greatly reduced barrel life. Being that the 7RUM is already known to burn up barrel throats rather quickly, it goes against my better judgement to send highly abrasive bullets down the barrel, even at low velocities.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with you on the throat. If I had a crap barrel that wouldn't shoot, I might try them but certainly wouldn't on anything else........rich
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

i'm going to come up with a hard sponge the will screw into a cleaning rod that you can soak with lapping compound, and just swab the bore until you get some color on the sponge and then inspect the bore for improvements in the finish. i believe it is safer to use a very fine grit like flitz polishing compound and just keep working the bore until you get results. the key is to shine the bore up for less copper fouling. the accuracy will come as the result of a smoother less fouling bore, and will be more pressure consistent for a longer amount of shots before accuracy falls off a bit . then just do your normal copper clean and your back.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

What about coating the bore with automotive rubbing compound, and shooting cold (75% charge, or lower) rounds through it, for the first 10 or 15, cleaning after every shot, followed by cold rounds through the un-coated bore, until the patches start coming out cleaner. But I'm not sure if automotive rubbing compound would be abrasive enough though, as it is designed for automotive finishes - not steel. But at least you wouldn't have to worry about it removing too much metal from the bore.