Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I have a SHAW barrel ordered - what can I expect out of it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I have a SHAW barrel ordered - what can I expect out of it?

It is a stainless 26 incher in 7RUM, with a varmint (.850" at muzzle, I think) contour. I thought it was a great deal, for what it cost me (I'm in on a group buy). But I have NO previous experience with them, so I'm not really sure what to expect out of it, especially in terms of accuracy.

Kin I git some opinions on em?

Oh, I forgot to mention (if it means anything), twist is "standard" 9.5.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I have a SHAW barrel ordered - what can I expect out of it?

I've found that they are on par with a good factory barrel.

Good performers for the price.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Not great, but as grinder said, probably on par with a decent factory barrel. They tend to be a little rough. You might want to consider firing a few bore polishers down it.....Rich
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

I've had 'em go both ways. Put one on a 30/06 for a budget build on an older rifle to use for a loaner at camp and it shoots pretty well. Had one put on another in .284 mag and can't get it to shoot under 1.5" no matter what. On the other hand, never had a Hart, Rock, or Obermeyer shoot over .75. I'd go Douglas in that price range just because those boys will do whatever it takes to make it right and both of them are close to me.. Regardless, I second the additional polishing via your method of choice.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

I got a Shaw heavy magnum chrome-molly barrel in 6.5x55 for a Stevens action late last year. Copper fouling was minor in it. Accuracy with it is decent. 3/4" 4 shot 100 yard groups common with it. Sometimes, 1/2" or 1 1/4", just depends on my reloads and me.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

If it's at least as good, or better, than the factory savage barrels, I'm OK with that, considering it only cost me a buck 60. It sounds like they do let some not-so-perfect ones get out the door though. I guess all I can do is hope, that I won't end up with one of those. Hart is only about 10 miles up-river from me. But being that he is considered the best out there, he commands top dollar, which my budget is not able to accommodate.

I do like the idea of polishing the bore, but I've never done it before. What ARE my options? I like the idea of bore polishing projectiles, but I don't think I've ever even seen one before. I take it that the polishing should be carried out BEFORE any actual bullets are fired out of it?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
If it's at least as good, or better, than the factory savage barrels, I'm OK with that, considering it only cost me a buck 60. It sounds like they do let some not-so-perfect ones get out the door though. I guess all I can do is hope, that I won't end up with one of those. Hart is only about 10 miles up-river from me. But being that he is considered the best out there, he commands top dollar, which my budget is not able to accommodate.

I do like the idea of polishing the bore, but I've never done it before. What ARE my options? I like the idea of bore polishing projectiles, but I don't think I've ever even seen one before. I take it that the polishing should be carried out BEFORE any actual bullets are fired out of it?
You can purchase "Tubbs final finish bullets" from midway for around $40. You actually fire these down the bore according to there recommendation. They have a progressive grit size that polishes the bore. I have not personally used them but have heard of good results.........Rich