Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

I Have Been In Wrong Forums! Match King -Again.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

I Have Been In Wrong Forums! Match King -Again.

Hello forum,Iīve been busy looking for a 338 Lapua bullet for moose,300 to 500 yds. Busy because I obviously need to order them from abroad ,all I need is one load for this rifle.

300 Grain Match King.Yes.

I have been totally ignorant. Now,after finding you guys the things are finally normalizing. I hunt moose,got the new TRG-S shooting Scenars very good,just the bullet for the moose was missing.

Whatever I have found here I have already read, even the accuratearms SMK thread until I noticed Ricciardelli there... maybe I read the rest later. He must be the one getting some beating. I met him in another forum just a few days ago and he introduced me to SMKs. Then the real search started.

I ended up finding SMKs for moose all over the Net, then again ridiculous,biased flames. Flames from people who have not even shot those in phonebooks or anything. Here in Longrange I found lots of facts. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The moose donīt read what it says on the bullet box,especially when itīs in english and I hunt in Finland. I will order my SMKs.

I do not have access to many 338 bullets .I simply can not test them all now,this is a rare caliber here and hunters are biased as well. So the shops do not stock them. But I am a ballistic nut,I shoot a firearm almost every day. Practise,varmint,whatever.

Just tell me to get them,please. Or if not,please give me some other "fact" than it being a target bullet,okay? The information overflow is getting unbearable.

It all started here,if you have time take a look,this is a nice forum,my main hangout:

Legacy 338 Lapua Bullet For Moose

Then I got guided here from another forum,I wish I had posted all this in Longrange in the first place.

LoadYourOwn 338 Bullet For Moose

Please excuse my slightly ranting tone,I am just tired. But I am dead serious about this.Time is running,range time.

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I Have Been In Wrong Forums! Match King -Again.

I think Dave King has used the 300gr MK on Moose out of a 338 Ultra
Old 05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Yes I am bias as well, bias twards SMK's that is. I and many friends hunt and cleanly kill big game including elk and moose and smaller game too.

GET THE MK's!!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Howdy,got some sleep,now reading the hilarious accurateloading thread.Ouch!Match Kings

Hmm... my terminology was incorrect,MK meaning "MatchKing" and SMK "Sierra Match King",only talking ībout one and only bullet.Sorry Michael.

I really hope I didnīt start the same over here.

EDIT: The thing being that I have an accurate load data for Match King from Sako test shooters but not a single bullet does not make things easier at all.

[ 05-09-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]
Old 05-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Hehehh... I am somewhere halfway of that accurate thread. Thanks for sharing your experience, had I read more Iīd never started this one. Itīs all there.

The debate is over from my side. Just ordered 500 Match Kings. I wonder if they are good for American Orlovs? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Cheers,Gentlemen!

Old 05-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I was also only talking about 1 bullet. MK, SMK, same thing. "Match king" is a registered trade mark of Sierra. Congrats on the 500 MK's
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Petander & Boyd

I've shot three (3) moose now, all with the 300 SMK/MK/Sierra Match King/Match King. All were one (1) shot kills, distances varied from ~175 to 439 yards. Expansion on the only recovered bullet was good and it's been posted as a .jpg a few times.

Petander...500 count 338 cal 300 SMK's should hold you for a while, lot of dead somethings coming up.