Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I can hardly bring myself to say it! Ruger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: I can hardly bring myself to say it! Ruger?

Quote:
The potential feeding issue is what gives me pause when it comes to chambering my rifle for 6.5-284. Glad to know that your 6-284 will at least feed acceptably.
Based on my experience with the 6-284, I definitely would NOT build a 6.5-284 on a short action. If yours is a long action it should work great. In my 6-284 the 95 grain Berger is the upper limit of bullet length this one will take and still feed from the mag.

hope that helps.

(I just re-read your first post. Obviously a long action. Sorry about the stupid response)

Last edited by cornstalker; 01-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

I have three rugers. A .204 Varmint, .243 MKII Light, and .22-250 Hawkeye stainless. The .204 shoots outstanding, I cant count how many coyotes iv killed with it and the .243 was my first hunting rifle. Both my brothers and I all killed our first bucks with it. It has had a hard life but the other day I got a wild hair and decided to take it out and see how well it shot after all those hard years of hunting. I shot three groups with factory hornady ammo all under .75 moa at a 100 and one was under .5 moa! Not to bad for a bone stock kids gun with a wood stock and a pencil thin barrel on it. I was stoked.
The 22-250 has been giving me hell though. I need to do something about the trigger its terrible and ill definitely try the screw tip. Thanks for all the great tips. Iv always liked the way the ruger actions felt ya know just rock solid.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Glad I was directed here. All I've ever heard is trash talk about Rugers. That being said I just had a gun dealer sweet talk me into a Ruger Hawkeye chambered in the .264 Win Mag. Yes I know ammo is limited and that I don't have a 24 inch barrel.
What I do know is there is hope for a lowly Ruger M77 after all. I've hunted Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's all my life and honestly bought the rifle because it was a steal versus any other rifle he had in stock.
The trigger, even though Ruger says different, has gotta go. I'm thinking maybe Timney or Jewel drop ins and then trying the techniques you have shared.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Hey, I love my Rugers. All of mine shoot sub-MOA with my handloads.

Then like another member said, I put a Hogue stock on this .338 Win Mag.

All of them are M77 MkII's
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Coyboy,
When you accurize a Ruger, do you free float the barrel? I've got a stainless LH 77 Mark II in .25-06. Shoots about 1.5MOA. Plenty accurate for deer hunting here in Missouri. It's been my go-to rifle come November for the last few seasons.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumpo View Post
Coyboy,
When you accurize a Ruger, do you free float the barrel? I've got a stainless LH 77 Mark II in .25-06. Shoots about 1.5MOA. Plenty accurate for deer hunting here in Missouri. It's been my go-to rifle come November for the last few seasons.
Yes I float the barrels, it's best to bed the action and then after that is done open the channel.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Bronze Member

I sold my 77mkii .220 Rocket. bought it from someone and it had been bedded, heavy barrel target laminated stock and shot .3 .4 .5 anytime. Hating life at the moment trying to decide whats next.

I've lots of gear for the .223 Rem., brass dies etc. I've decided that will be the caliber. Been reading about the Savage 12BVSS getting into the "switchbarrel" jabber.

I probably wont go that route.

I will more than likely go the Ruger 77MKII Target in .223 my questions are:

What is "floating the barrel"? What is "opening the channel"

When would a gun be pillar bedded and when would it not?

Would an action be bedded, pillared and channel opened.

I really don't want to spend a year determining if a jammed up action is causing a 1.5moa groups.

Would it be advantageous to give it to the "right person" and get it out of the waY? And who might the right person be? What would I expect to pay (roughly).

If I went that route is performance ever adversely affected ???

I'd like to add a $300 super match grade barrel but that aint going to happen. I would rather know right up front that its anything but the action/stock fit.

I can work up accurate loads and that's going to have to be the end of it.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on thisl

Last edited by TnTom; 02-18-2010 at 12:29 AM.