Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I can hardly bring myself to say it! Ruger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I can hardly bring myself to say it! Ruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Cornstalker, whats the correct way to torque the action screws...that could be part of the problem with mine...??
Tighten the front angle screw, then the rear, both of these screws should be firm.

The one trouble spot is most people overtighten the middle screw, after tightening the front and rear just tighten the middle screw about 1/8 of a turn after contact if felt, thumb and one finger on the screwdriver.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Well, I wish I could provide torque specs and blah-de-blah to scientifically solve the conundrum, but I can't. I will only tell you what has worked for me so far.

First of all, all of my Rugers have a stable bedding surface on the stock face that the lug seats against. I tighten the front action screw REALLY tight. (sorry to bewilder you with highly technical terms ) Then I tighten the rear screw tight, then snug up the mid screw a bit.(the front trigger guard screw)

I think that most Rugers that have been out of the stock have likely been subjected to improper torque sequence, thus allowing the action a certain amount of displacement that could significantly affect accuracy.

All of my Rugers shoot best about .010" to .015" off of the lands. (In fact, the 6mm284 is absolutely intolerant of jam)

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Tighten the front angle screw, then the rear, both of these screws should be firm.

The one trouble spot is most people overtighten the middle screw, after tightening the front and rear just tighten the middle screw about 1/8 of a turn after contact if felt, thumb and one finger on the screwdriver.
This popped up while I was putting the kids to bed and typing my response.

So......... WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, I'll tighten her up tomorrow...
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Gold Member

I find this thread to be both intriguing and encouraging because I intend to have a LH Ruger 77 Mk II built into either a 6.5-06 AI or a 6.5-284 (I am still trying to decide between the two). It is reassuring to know that others are having great success on this platform.

I find the comments regarding torque and torque sequence of the action screws to be very enlightening. I intend to restock my rifle with an aluminum bedding block equipped stock from Accurate Innovations. Would the inclusion of the bedding block affect the torque sequence or torque values in some way?

I would be interested in seeing some photos of the finished rifles if anyone desires to post them.

Cornstalker, does your 6-284 feed OK from the magazine?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Cornstalker, does your 6-284 feed OK from the magazine?
Acceptable, but not perfect. I am debating going with a .243 AI when the barrel is shot out. The only thing hanging me up on that decision is all of the $$ I have tied up in brass and dies.

I would not think the torque sequence would change for any stock as long as the front action screw is still angled.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

The potential feeding issue is what gives me pause when it comes to chambering my rifle for 6.5-284. Glad to know that your 6-284 will at least feed acceptably.

OK, so the angled action screw is the key to the whole thing. That's something I will keep in mind as I mess with my Ruger.