Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

HUGE BC change with opening up the hollow point.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Meichele , Have you given any thought to the older 178gr or the new 208gr Hornady A-max? the A-max is a pretty fragile bullet with decient BC's.
The SMK's have a thicker jacket that just about all other match bullets this is part of the reason for them not expanding reliably at long range.

Personaly I would try the 190gr Bergers and slightly trim the tips or try the A-max's
Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
I will be using the 178 AMAX next week for deer. The in flight performance isnt as good as the 190's but will have to do. I have got the 178's to expand at 1050 FPS. I havent yet had a chance to try the 208.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

most of the guys with a fair amount of long range experience around here use the 210 Bergers with the RUM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

The 210 is well and great, but I went with the 12 twist for my 300 RUM for better results with the 155's through 200's. These bullets are more than capable of handling anything I am going to ask my 300 RUM to do such as taking a coues whitetail or smashing a moose's ribs out to 700 yards.

On the other side of the coin, I have a 11.25 twist barrel waiting to be chambered for my RUM so I can expand my horizons to the 210 grain pills.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

meichele,
I currently shoot 210 SMKs out of my 12 twist barrel at 3050 with no problem. Have done it in the past with other cases and several fellow shooters have also without a problem. I don't see you having many problems with them out of a 300 RUM even in colder temps. So don't let the 12 twist hold you back from trying them if that is where you want to be.

NZ Longranger,
I'll have to search the archives for what Richard is doing with alloy tips. I know of a fellow competition shooter (that is a true mechanical engineer) that tried aluminum tips in his bullets and had some adverse affects on accuracy. When he calculated out the actual weight of the tip under acceleration in the barrel, it equated out to 150# of force on the bullet. They didn't shoot very good at all because the bullets were deforming when fired. Those numbers are from memory. I hope they are correct. He scraped that project real quick.

Steve
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Steve, I will give em a try when I get back. I get decent results with the 200 ACCUBOND. I tried the 220 SMK and they hit the target nose first but I could tell they were wobbling a bit out to 300 yards. I assume they were riding the edge of stability.