Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

HS stocks- barrel diameters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
HS stocks- barrel diameters?

I'm planning the purchase of a HS stock for my 338-06 on a winchester Mod 70 CRF action. It's a hunter, so I want to use the sporter stock, but as standard this only takes a .65" muzzle diameter barrel. I prefer my rifles with a bit of weight, and would lean more to a 0.75-0.80" muzzle with a 24" fluted barrel.
Does anyone know if i can get material taken out of the forend without compromising the stock strength? If so, what profle barrel can i fit?
Also, as a side question on HS stocks, are the mercury recoil reducers any good?

Unread 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Re: HS stocks- barrel diameters?

The HS stocks are laid up glass , you can remove a good bit of the material from the forend before you break through the glass and get into the foam which realy isin't a big deal so long as you have some idea of how to do fiberglass work. I'v seen a few stocks (one HS) that the material had been removed from the barrel channel and the owner simply bedded the barrel back with bedding compound and repainted. It didn't realy seem any less strong but I'm sure it was but the gun shot great. It was a sporter stock with a #7 barrel in it, you could squeeze the barrel and stock together and make them touch but trying to make them touch from a shooting position was realy hard.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe
Unread 11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member
Re: HS stocks- barrel diameters?

I rebarreled to a #4 and had to take out a small amount of material.A #5 would be the most i'd consider on a sporter stock.I thought about a #5 w/ flutes just for the cool factor but am happy w/the #4-->plenty heavy..
If you like a little weight to your gun a #4 is considered a heavy sporter/lite varmint weight barrel.
It is a little heavy for my taste when hiking long distances.
The thumbhole sporters are nice ,the only negatives i've heard are in cycling in a round and you can't bring your thumb over as easily as you can w/a plain sporter.I love mine and for longrange shooting super fast cycling of a round seems unimportant.
When i chamber a round the thumb stays in the thumbhole and i open the bolt w/my fingers -as the bolt comes back the thumb slides out naturally and onto the bolt for the forward action.Best to you -ME
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!