Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How is this for a vertical string

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: How is this for a vertical string

Have not checked your load data but looks like too light of loads
Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
I probably should only shoot three shot groups. I suppose I just want that extra reassurance of consistency.
Just a firm grip that holds the butt in the shoulder and the stock down on the bag . You don't want the gun moving back too much as it just upsets the rear bag and teh bi-pod feet can dig in . Also if using a Harris bi-pod leg notch model make sure you do not have the feet sitting on the springs at the lowest position . This can cause high shots . Come up into the first notch and adjust the rear bag . Experiment a bit with the pressure of the grip and see what works best.
You will not get any reassurance with a 5 shot group if you are blowing the group with the 4th or fifth shot all the time .
Firing only three tests the rifle and load , firing 5 test you.
If you start with three shot groups it cuts out a lot of variables helping you get some consistency and tune a load then when you can consistently get a tight three shot move to firing more shots in a group .
Look I see Military and Police trained snipers that are not controlling recoil well at times . Stock design has a lot to do with it . Light guns are a pain .
If you move to the dirt make sure you load the bi-pod before each shot and don't put the bi-pod feet down on lumpy rocky spots .
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM

I will give it a shot. I am headed back to range on Friday I will shoot some three shot groups and post there targets.

Don't police snipers generally use a 308 Wincthemer as a standard? Is there actually bad recoil management with a 308? I love my 308 I can literally watch the bullet hit the target. Maybe the bigger magnums just exploit the weakness in your setup. While something like a 308 hides them.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Machinist....Long time no see. How you been? Did you ever get those Rem 700 titanium bolts underway?

Yes, most threat response units use the .308 Winchester as their sniper caliber of choice. Some use a .300 WinMag.

I love my .308 Win. It's the most fun caliber I have to shoot, other than the rimfires (.22LR and .17HMR). You can shoot a well-built heavy-barreled .308 all day and not be sore from the recoil the next day. Plus, experimenting with that caliber and different loads is tons of fun. Powder consumption is minimal, and I can load twice number of loads per # of powder, as I can with my big belted magnums. My largest load for my .308 uses 44.0gr of Varget, and most of my belted mags use 65-85gr of powder. Plus, the .308 is a very forgiving load when you first start reloading. It will shoot good seated at SAAMI spec, or touching the lands, or with a little jump inbetween.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM

I think you might have me confused with someone else. None the less nice to meet you. Titanium action screws would have cool factor. The only thing I wonder about is titanium tends to have more flex than standard grade 5 bolts. If they are tight I can't see any noticeable effect they would have though.

My most accurate load was varget and 168 matchking. I had an Israeli mauser srewed in the barrel another turn and chambered with a tight neck match reamer it shot amazing. Then I sold it, have regretted it ever since. With peep sights I could hold 1 moa all day from field positions.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
I think you might have me confused with someone else. None the less nice to meet you. Titanium action screws would have cool factor. The only thing I wonder about is titanium tends to have more flex than standard grade 5 bolts. If they are tight I can't see any noticeable effect they would have though.

My most accurate load was varget and 168 matchking. I had an Israeli mauser srewed in the barrel another turn and chambered with a tight neck match reamer it shot amazing. Then I sold it, have regretted it ever since. With peep sights I could hold 1 moa all day from field positions.
I might have you confused with someone else....I was talking about the actual bolt of a Remington 700....not the action screws. But, either way, my bad.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM

No worry's a titanium bolt would be pretty awesome. That would not be to hard to do. Tell you what when the shop here reaches its slow time I will turn a bolt out of titanium and post it on the forum.