Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How is this for a vertical string

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM

How is this for a vertical string

The rifle is a Savage lrh 300 win mag. Overall I really like the rifle my average groups are .8 moa. It only shoots well with the muzzle break on by the way. I bought a bunch of new brass and decided to see if i could find an accurate load for fire forming it. That way I was still practicing instead of just slinging lead down range. This was not the best group today but I must say it's the most interesting. Should play with this load or bit or scrap it. I was going to write 2.2 inches and 1.1 moa underneath but somehow I messed that up and wrote 2.2 moa sorry for the typo.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
How is this for a vertical string-20130517_151644.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM

Re: How is this for a vertical string

Oh I almost forgot each powder charge is trickled and weighed twice ( imr 4831). The bullets are sorted to 1 grain (190 smk). I normally like to keep the jump to .01 but since it's new brass and head spaced to the belt I gave it .03 to be safe. I did not sort the brass at all the case length was already short and varied a lot. The shot in the 7 ring was the cold bore shot if that means anything to anyone.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Ive seen bad vertical like this from loose action screws, you might want to check that out.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM

They are tight I just checked them. Normally I would say it was me but with a .15 moa of horizontal variation I think my shooting is not the culprit. I tried some 208 amax loads after that group and they printed a .8 moa with the bullets in a circular arrangement.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Here is an article that deals with vertical stringing: Cures for Vertical Stringing within AccurateShooter.com

Hopefully, you can find something in there that can cure that awful vertical. If you do, you will have some great groups coming.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

What is your load?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM

70 grains imr4831 3.400 (.03) Fed 215 primers Non fire formed Rem brass. I did weight sort the brass and bullets this time; I found 1 bullet that was 3 grains heavier. I loaded some up this morning stepping from 69 - 71.5 in .5 grain increments.

I was reading that excessive vertical stringing can be caused by very light loads and I am on the light side, according to the sierra manual with 72 or 72.5 max. I have not gotten any stringing with any other loads before. None of my loads have had as little horizontal as that target had, so I think I am close to finding a really good combination.

I am very good about not jerking the trigger and doing the same thing over but friday, when I try my next load I will pay very close attention to the stock position on my shoulder. I have a normal pocket that the rifle just wants to fall into but I might be varying how high and low I am putting it. I will post the targets when I get done.