close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 627
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Norma brass is going to be tough to find. I use RWS and 77 grains of H-1000 with 208's and absolutely no pressure signs and 2900 fps. Can't get any faster than that out of any brass on the market. The brass is thick, and after I uniformed the primer pockets I still have to seat them on the press because of tight primer pockets, going to anneal every third firing and hope to get 7+ firings out of it. I fl resize (barely bumping shoulders back) after annealing and neck size with Lee Collet on the two firings that I don't anneal.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 8,353
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
Norma brass is going to be tough to find. I use RWS and 77 grains of H-1000 with 208's and absolutely no pressure signs and 2900 fps. Can't get any faster than that out of any brass on the market. .
This is a good example of the difference in rifles and powder lots and why one needs to work up loads slowly. I have seen the same load in 2 300 win Sendero's in RWS brass that was too hot at 76 gr. But was fine at 74 or 75. Both the same rifles would chrono faster and would shoot the 77 gr load in WW or Lapua brass. This is also the same case with my 300 win custom testing Lapua and WW vs RWS brass. Lapua will spank the RWS for velocity every time due to it's larger case volume. The RWS is very very tough, but this is why I stated before you will give up some velocity with it. Velocity data was from an Oehler 35P.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 11-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 533
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Let's bring this thread back from the dead!

Slightly off topic, but I have a lead on both RWS and Norma brass. Is the RWS worth the $2 a piece vs the $1.20 of the Norma?
__________________
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." - Jesus Christ


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 11-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 8,353
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Let's bring this thread back from the dead!

Slightly off topic, but I have a lead on both RWS and Norma brass. Is the RWS worth the $2 a piece vs the $1.20 of the Norma?
The RWS is very tough brass and good quality. Loaded to the same pressure the RWS will out last the Norma. But the RWS also has a lower case capacity and max charge weights will be a few grains lower than other brass with larger case volumes with some of the most popular 300 win powders.

There is also some Bertram brass available now for the 300 win. It is strong and great quality. Expect to pay more for the Bertram too but also expect it to last longer. In the end I have found high quality, strong brass to be the less expensive choice when you consider the number of firings you get.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 11-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Driffield, UK
Posts: 12
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

I was wondering the same thing, I have been using R-P brass but after 2 firings some of the primer pockets are real loose!
Was considering trying some Hornady brass as it worked well in my .204, anyone use hornady in their .300 win?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,368
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

I agree about RP lately. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it off the shelves. From what I've used, Hornady is similar to Winchester. In one particular rifle, the exact load specifications transferred from Win to Hornady producing the same velocity and precision. Not sure about the durability of their belted stuff, though.

I've actually been impressed with what Nosler/Norma is kicking out lately for the 300 WM and the RUM series. It's far outlasting the RP crap that I was using. I've got some Nosler 338 RUM cases that are up to 10 firings now with nice tight primer pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Driffield, UK
Posts: 12
Re: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I agree about RP lately. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it off the shelves. From what I've used, Hornady is similar to Winchester. In one particular rifle, the exact load specifications transferred from Win to Hornady producing the same velocity and precision. Not sure about the durability of their belted stuff, though.

I've actually been impressed with what Nosler/Norma is kicking out lately for the 300 WM and the RUM series. It's far outlasting the RP crap that I was using. I've got some Nosler 338 RUM cases that are up to 10 firings now with nice tight primer pockets.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Winchester Head Stamp .308 brass Steel Rain Reloading Equipment and Components 2 11-28-2012 09:43 AM
257 Wby brass FS- 12 boxes Tiger head hemiallen Reloading Equipment and Components 6 10-25-2012 07:47 PM
WTB 7 mm Rem Mag brass Win head stamp montana_native Reloading Equipment and Components 4 05-28-2009 01:37 PM
F/S 1 Time Fired .223 brass Mixed Head Stamps Sonic Sammy Reloading Equipment and Components 2 04-17-2009 08:28 AM
Brass head question ZIMM Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs) 6 08-25-2008 03:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC