Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

how short can a .270 win barrel be

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: how short can a .270 win barrel be

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
What does YMMV mean anyway? I'm still having trouble with the basic acronyms like lol, & ttyl, but ymmv??? I guess I don't get it. What does it stand for?
YMMV="your mileage may vary" (originally a common disclaimer in automobile mile/gallon claims). It usually indicates skepticism about stated performance claims.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
YMMV="your mileage may vary" (originally a common disclaimer in automobile mile/gallon claims). It usually indicates skepticism about stated performance claims.
I feel so much better......thanks Lou!........Rich
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I feel so much better......thanks Lou!........Rich
Ya, me too. Thank-you

Now back to the handicaping of a great cartrige. I'm still very curious why you'd intentionally do this. I have Scottish ancestry, but I like Long barreled rifles Oh, & my neighbor has some incredibly shaggy lookin cows, Scottish Highland. I'm thinkin ill stick with short haired cows too, but those ol Highlands are kinda cool lookin in the winter with ice cicles hanging off all that hair. They walk around sounding like a windchime.
I'm not picking on ya, I'm just weird. I tend to be drawn to notice odd things on occasion.
McEwen, Sellers & Marr are my lineage. Maybe you know someone I'm related to from a couple hundred years ago. If ya do, tell em I said hi, & thier family line has done well down here in America, & the Doull family is good friends of ours too, they came from your part of the world not long after my family did, & they're doing quite well too

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

I recently aqiuired a Browning a bolt in 270, with the Boss. Overall barrel length is 22, but in reality, the " barrel "is only 18.5 long. As you would expect, my initial velocitys were lower than typical velocities expected. I ended up going to a faster burn rate, as far as the powder goes and I got my velocity back to where I was wanting to see it at. With 130 bullets, I am at about 3050 or so, and VERY accurate to boot. When I shoot 140 VLD's, I am at about 2950-2972, or there a bouts. I simply exchanged the normal h4831, or 4350 to IMR 4064, I am not a fan of the boss, due to the noise. It does chop the recoil right in half, but the noise will be a issue in the hunting field. So, the shorter barrel does shoot, you just have to use a faster powder. A friend of mine shoots a TC handgun. He told me that he used 8208 powder, and is getting around 2740with 130 bullets. Not bad. Hope this sheds some lite.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 AM

Hi,
i understand about handicapping a good calibre. This is about doing a specific job in really dense woodland where you need to weave in and out of blow downs to get near to the deer, the long barrel gets caught. I plan to get a new barrel made so i still have the option of the 24" barrel.
incidently i am from Wales not Scotland, it's just where i get to go an stalk deer, on the isle of Arran which is on the West Coast, in the firth of Clyde near to Glascow. Wim Mag is right about Scotland in the Winter, i still prefure Alaska, went last year for a month superb place.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

I'm sure this doesn't apply to scotland, but it does have me thinking, how short can a rifle barrel be in the US? Legally speaking, I'm thinking that the "cut-off" is 18". Anybody know if I'm correct on that?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

David,
Remington 700 Youth .247cal comes in 20". Like said above, You should be A-O-K with your .270.......speed it up a little just for the hell of it.