Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

How quick can a .300 RUM burn a barrel out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How quick can a .300 RUM burn a barrel out?

I've got 500+ rounds on a lh m700 bdl 300 rum I bought used. It looks like new inside and will likely go another 1000 shots or more before I need to think about touching it. I run a 180 hornady at 3300 fps with rl25 lit by a 215 in rem brass. I clean every 20-40 shots and go to a visual clean, not just that patches are clean since they lie if your solvent can't pick any more crap up. Shoot in cold weather, don't heat her up, and shoot a few percent back charge weight wise, and you'll more than double bore life if you actually clean your rig.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Agree with tricky. That is why I design my cartridges with a 40 degree shoulder and a neck with a MINIMUM length as long as the caliber. Here is a potential problem that is often overlooked and will make your accuracy go south. Even with otherwise good cleaning, the neck/throat junction can sometimes build up a carbon ring. Try soaking a patch in Kroil and stuffing it in the throat for two or three days. Pull the patch out and rotate a copper cleaning brush soaked in kroil and then clean up as usual. Check the patch and see what you came up with? I usually only trim my cases .005" short to help eliminate this problem. With 500 rounds, this COULD be the problem......Rich

last night I drew that case up to confirm my post, and was stunned! The vortex of the flame path is right at the end of the case lip, but the actual turbulance point is probably .050" past that, and right inside the throat. Had the neck length been .050" longer, it would have helped a little bit, but the real issue is the combination of shoulder angle a minimum neck length. A 35 degree shoulder would have really helped. Thus confirming my thoughts about shortening the shoulder length .075", and go with a much steeper shoulder angle while keeping the overall length the same
gary
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

I have around 1300 rounds through my 27" lilja barrel which has been a 300RUM since about the 700 round count. It was a 300Wby from 0-700. It's always been loaded pretty warm because that's where I found the best accuracy. I recently thought my barrel may have took a big turn south but that issue ended up being brass. It shoots 215 hybrids inside .5moa at 100 yards and can typically get that at 1000+ in a no wind condition. I clean it like a fool and have never let it get scorching hot, I think that has made the difference.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
I have around 1300 rounds through my 27" lilja barrel which has been a 300RUM since about the 700 round count. It was a 300Wby from 0-700. It's always been loaded pretty warm because that's where I found the best accuracy. I recently thought my barrel may have took a big turn south but that issue ended up being brass. It shoots 215 hybrids inside .5moa at 100 yards and can typically get that at 1000+ in a no wind condition. I clean it like a fool and have never let it get scorching hot, I think that has made the difference.
Is your barrel a 3 groover? I have found that the 3 groove Liljas last longer with the wider lands.......Rich
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
What did you find with your brass that made them an issue?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Is your barrel a 3 groover? I have found that the 3 groove Liljas last longer with the wider lands.......Rich
It's just a standard six groove.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood493 View Post
What did you find with your brass that made them an issue?
It was more of an issue with brass prep. I was using NC brass at the time and it's very good, consistent brass but I found that it is too soft for my liking. I was loading things with a warm charge and it loosened up the primer pocket after about 3 firings. Remington brass would have stayed tight with the same charge. So I used a drive in style primer pocket resizer that created a bunch of run out. Hammer and punch on brass, not a good idea. I do not have the tool to check run out so it took me a little while to figure out what was going on. I recently switched back to Rem brass. I will keep shooting 'till she gives up. Then it will be a big .338 of some sort