Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How quick can a .300 RUM burn a barrel out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

How quick can a .300 RUM burn a barrel out?

Ok guys, I have a stock Remington .300 RUM LSS. How quick can I burn a barrel out? I have about 500 rounds down the tube loaded hot, and the accuracy seems to be falling off and more fliers appearing. It was about 3/8"-1/2" MOA all the way up til about 400 rounds, and now it moved to about 1"- 1 1/2" MOA. It is clean, and I have used the same cleaning routine since new with Boretech eliminator and CU+2. Can my barrel starting to be shot out already? I hear a good average on the .300 RUM is about 1000 rounds.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: How quick can a .300 RUM burn a barrel out?

my experience;
bbl 1 factory rem. 272 rounds
bbl 2 douglas 465 rounds
bbl 3 pac-nor 600-or so

BBL 4 300 WIN MAG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

have you tried seating your bullets farther out?

Tried this? if your looking at a rebarrel anyway how much could it hurt.
Tubb Final Finish TMS Throat Maintenance System 308 Cal
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought but a gunsmith at Weatherby told me once that 3/4's of the rifles that are returned for accuracy problems were badly fouled. He claimed that despite the owners contention that the barrel was cleaned regularly, the barrels were only in need of a through cleaning. Without a borescope it's not always easy to determine what the barrel condition is in after 500 hot loads in a 300 RUM.

Just a thought
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Just a thought but a gunsmith at Weatherby told me once that 3/4's of the rifles that are returned for accuracy problems were badly fouled. He claimed that despite the owners contention that the barrel was cleaned regularly, the barrels were only in need of a through cleaning. Without a borescope it's not always easy to determine what the barrel condition is in after 500 hot loads in a 300 RUM.

Just a thought

Well maybe so, but from what I read and experienced, the Boretech Eliminator followed by CU+2 is one of the best cleaners out there. I tried the ammonia based ones, and did not remove any more copper than the boretech does and they are alot more dangerous if left in too long. Someone chime in if they think that the boretech is not cleaning good enough. I used Hoppes benchrest copper cleaner at first, and it did not get any copper out of the barrel.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

if 28% amonia won't remove the copper after three or four minutes of soak, it's pretty much welded in place. The throats go fast because the vortex of the flame pathe is right at the tip of the neck. A 40 degree shoulder would do wonders in barrel life, but pushing the shoulder back .075" with a 40 degree shoulder ought to give you a solid thousand rounds of bore life, if not even more. I doubt you'll see 50fps loss in velocity as the case is already in an overbore condition.

gary
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
if 28% amonia won't remove the copper after three or four minutes of soak, it's pretty much welded in place. The throats go fast because the vortex of the flame pathe is right at the tip of the neck. A 40 degree shoulder would do wonders in barrel life, but pushing the shoulder back .075" with a 40 degree shoulder ought to give you a solid thousand rounds of bore life, if not even more. I doubt you'll see 50fps loss in velocity as the case is already in an overbore condition.

gary
Agree with tricky. That is why I design my cartridges with a 40 degree shoulder and a neck with a MINIMUM length as long as the caliber. Here is a potential problem that is often overlooked and will make your accuracy go south. Even with otherwise good cleaning, the neck/throat junction can sometimes build up a carbon ring. Try soaking a patch in Kroil and stuffing it in the throat for two or three days. Pull the patch out and rotate a copper cleaning brush soaked in kroil and then clean up as usual. Check the patch and see what you came up with? I usually only trim my cases .005" short to help eliminate this problem. With 500 rounds, this COULD be the problem......Rich