Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

How much would you spend on a .223 rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How much would you spend on a .223 rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have no need for a .223 varmint rifle....But if I was to build a designated varmint gun, I would use a short-action with a standard (.308) bolt face, and chamber it to .22-250...That way you can use that action for other calibers later on.

However, that is just me....

A .223 varmint gun would be great coyotes and other varmints and for practice. I just don't coyote hunt enough. WhenI do, I usually take my Accumark .257 Wby Mag or my .17 HMR. My buddy I usually go with has a Rem 700 Varmint SF in .17 Remington Fireball, but unfortunately they have discontinued that caliber. It is a sweet shooting little caliber. It hauls ass, with virtually no recoil, uses a .308 bolt face, and a standard short-action receiver. I've tried to buy it off him several times, but he won't sell it... You can still buy one in .22-250, .223, .220 Swift, and .308 Win.

.220 Swift is another awsome varmint caliber. I had one of those for a little while.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Varmint SF - Remington Centerfire Rifles
I THINK...you can still get the Rem 700 varmint in 204 caliber also..
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How much would you spend on a .223 rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If you come across a smoking deal on a Howa .223 I wouldn't pass it up either.

My dad bought a Weatherby Vanguard (aka Howa) in .223 about 5 years ago. It has a 20in heavy barrel 1-12tw. He bought it brand new at Sportsman Wharehouse. They were on sale for $339. He didn't really want it at the time but it seemed like a good deal so he bought it with the intentions of re-barreling it to a .223AI later on. It turned out to be such a good shooter he's never done a thing to it except shoot the heck out of it. He did put a Timney trigger in it though. He has a 6.5-06AI built on a Howa that shoots very well too.
I just bought a Vanguard SII 223 for $480 at the local SW and it's a half MOA shooter. It has a 1:12 twist and will stabilize 53 Vmax's. When the barrel is shot out, I'll have the action trued, get a new match grade barrel in a light varmint contour, and put it a new aluminum bedded B&C stock.

You could go full custom but I see no practical advantage to it for a 223.

Also, if you want to shoot longer high BC bullets in it, a factory barrel wont get you there. I'm happy shooting the 53 gr Vmax's with it. My son and I were shooting 850 yd rocks with a few weeks back with about 20 MOA of up correction and the wind was blowing about 15 mph give or take. and we were using about 12 MOA for wind.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams