Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

how much does molly change the B.C of a bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

how much does molly change the B.C of a bullet

i use molly on my 750 hornady amax the bc is 1.05 what is it with molly ? is it enough to change my drop chart ? also i use it with the sierra 168 match hp .is the change enough to worry about thanks,keith
Old 08-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: how much does molly change the B.C of a bullet

kidcoltoutlaw,
moly from all of the tinkering I have
done does NOT change your B.C. ,it might
slightly reduce copper fouling and allow
you to shoot a few more shot's before
you clean but it does not change B.C.
if someone can really disprove this I
would love to hear how.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

i have always felt the same way.i just had to ask thanks,keith
Old 08-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

KIDCOLTOUTLAW I HAVE USED MS MOLY SPRAY ON FACTORY LOADS, AND HAVE TUMBLED SEVERAL CALIBRE AND TYPE BULLETS IN MOLY POWDER. MY CONCLUSIONS ARE REDUCED FOULING, SIGNIFICANT MOLY ACCUMULATION, 25 - 75 FPS REDUCTION IN VELOCITY COMPARED TO IDENTICAL LOAD NOT COATED, SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT P.O.I., AND LARGER GROUPS. I ENDED UP TREATING NEW BARRELS WITH IT, CLEANING BETWEEN EVERY SHOT WHILE BURNING UP BULLETS THAT I HAD COATED, AND STOPPED USING IT ON ANY BULLET, INCLUDING BARNES X'S. I HAVEN'T TRIED ANY OF THE FACTORY COATED LOADS EXCEPT THE WINCHESTER 7mm-08 140 gr. BALLISTIC SILVERTIPS. EXCELLENT ACCURACY, BUT THEY'RE NOT MOLY. I DON'T BELIEVE THE COATING IMPROVES BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT AND IN MY EXPERIENCE, IT DEGRADED PERFORMANCE.

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM

Several people have reported an increase in BC on moly coated bullets. These reports have been from people that use the shot peening process to apply the moly rather than the spray-on application. It may very well be that the mini-dimpling the bullet receives in this application makes for less air resistance similar to the dimples on a golf ball.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Properly coated moly bullets fired in a seasoned barrel should allow the bullets to enter the rifling much easier. Less ripping of the jacket and less tiny burrs resulting from the whole engraving and obturating process.

In theory, the smoother, less engraved bullet should have a slightly higher BC. I do believe that Norma has a whole different take on why they found moly bullets to fly flatter.

My comments on moly & BC are from what I have read, so you can take it for what its worth. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 2 cents aught to be about right. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think dimples reduce golf ball drag, but instead, they increase it.
This causes the ball to curve upward due to it's backspin, raising the trajectory, and giving more 'airtime'(ie.distance).

I'm sure that moly would be applied to fighter jets & rockets if it reduced drag.