Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How many of you hunt with benchrest stocks vs standard stocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

How many of you hunt with benchrest stocks vs standard stocks?

I am finishing a project for long range whitetail work, as well as for some informal/formal competition. I am curious as to how many members hunt with a benchrest style stock in single shot, and flat forend, compared to a hunting type, magazine style stock??
Old 04-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: How many of you hunt with benchrest stocks vs standard stocks?

Hey Justc,

I'd say about all of em do. Look at every gun you've seen a picture of on this board and you'll find about all of em have flat bottomed benchrest stocks on em. Flat buttstocks too.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Something like a Sendaro stock would be about the smallest type used by most of us on this forum.

Many of us hunt from a statonary point (extreme Longrange) with large benches and use very heavy guns with flat bottoms on the stocks that will ride the bags better.

When we move or carry our equipment to far off ridge points, we go lighter and that's when a stock such as the Sendaro type with bi-pods come in handy.

DC
Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. I have to pay for a stock on the new rig soon, and just wanted a few more folks to agree that I should go with a benchrest stock instead of a tactical from mcmillan etc. The 30" barreled (.950") 300rum will be my crop damage hunter, and the stock consideration was a final element. I can't wait to shoot this thing.

What type of bottom metal is good?

Thanks again

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]
Old 04-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

The more I carry my 18 lb. 30 Wolf around the fields and shoot, the more happy I am that I chose to have such a rifle built.

The system is just so deployable. Drag bag, Harris bipod, GopherChucks Ultimate lightweight rear support system... Over 5000 lbs. of muzzle energy delivered (consistently and repeatedly) 5 times inside 2 inches at 600 yards. It's an awesome tool...

I used the HS Precision detachable box mag and bottom metal. It's extremely heavy duty, and allows the weapon to be cleared very quickly.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

I have heavy standard stocked rifles, no flat bottom/bench stocks.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:41 PM

STL shooter would love to see a pic of the gun your talking about 30 wolf. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]