Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How many are interested in their CBS???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

In fact every time I clean a rifle, when she is done, I oil the bore lightly, take a fouling round and go out behind the shop and sink a round into the old cotton wood stump so that I never have to worry about a fouling shot in the field.

Kirby, i'm a little uncomfortable with letting burnt powder set in the bore. we have to get the copper and powder out, but aren't you just putting a bunch of powder back in there? i shoot mine the evening before or when i leave in the morning but don't like letting the gun sit for extended periods with a fouled bore. you obviously feel this is not a problem. i guess i'm asking if this is OK to do.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

I experimented with the 300 last year, while working loads the first one down a oily barrel we just put a X on em and go from there.....seems most of the time its high and right.

However in the muzzle loader department....its allways CCBS and will be the only one for the day....Ill shoot this gun 1 time at 100 yrds useually the lil circle on a milk jug....if its there I clean and reload it..DONE!

SS7MM that brown truck day is near! almost as bad as the first month on the wait.....I almost got braggin rights on a world class gun!

Kirby dont be sleepin with my girl but do keep her warm, Southern girls is sensitive to the cold!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I never shoot from a clean cold bore. In fact every time I clean a rifle, when she is done, I oil the bore lightly, take a fouling round and go out behind the shop and sink a round into the old cotton wood stump so that I never have to worry about a fouling shot in the field.
Kirby Allen(50)
Ya know, you've said to do that before so I tried it. Cleaned my gun, went out in the back yard behind my shop and put a round into the ol tree stump........then it got a little hectic.

The cops came....the sheriff came...the neighborhood dogs went crazy, my dog peed all over my foot and ran and hid, 6 car alarms went off and the swat team was on two of the neighbors roofs in nothing flat. I had little laser dots wiggling around all over my chest.;) You'd be surprised how fast you can get down and spread them when 17 guys dressed all in black and wearing body armor are yelling at you with bullhorns.

Not all of your ideas are great ones. Think I'll skip the back yard thing.;) Maybe it makes a difference if you live in town or out in the middle of nowhere.:confused:
Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

The cops came....the sheriff came...the neighborhood dogs went crazy, my dog peed all over my foot and ran and hid, 6 car alarms went off and the swat team was on two of the neighbors roofs in nothing flat. I had little laser dots wiggling around all over my chest. You'd be surprised how fast you can get down and spread them when 17 guys dressed all in black and wearing body armor are yelling at you with bullhorns.

Thats funny but I can relate! My dad lives in the county(legal to shoot) on the city limit(not legal to shoot) line....Now imagine what its feels like when the wrong cops show up! And dont realize where they are cuz the call came from inside the city limits...and it gets even better when its the 1/2 the SWAT team from another county in his backyard playing will full auto SMG's!

THAT IS A TRUE STORY!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Cold bore shots

Good suggestions all !

What works for you, is best for you .

With chrome molly barrels I shoot the cold bore shot with oil
in the bore after cleaning.

With stainless barrels after cleaning,I fire one round and dry patch
to remove powder fowling and dont worry about the copper from
one round.

But I always note where the CBS is in the event that I don't have a
chance to fire a fowling shot.

The Bore Snake is a great tool for sweeping the powder fowling out
after one shot. and after a shot is made on game I run the snake
through the bore so it is ready for the next hunt.

With good weather I may not solvent clean for 2 or 3 weeks. But after
cleaning I repeat the process.

This method works for me and the second and third shots remain the same
( Heaven forbid I need them to anchor the game )

Like most on this web site I believe the first shot is the only shot, and
if I miss It was his lucky day and not mine, so he walks .

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Like most on this web site I believe the first shot is the only shot, and
if I miss It was his lucky day and not mine, so he walks .

J E CUSTOM
That's my game as well.
I'm a walking varmint hunter and shoot off harris bipods.

My rules as follows:
#1 I load a round only when I'm fully prepared to kill something with a responsible shot
#2 I hunt for one game at a time, I will not affect others
#3 If within 400yds, it's a headshot only
#4 If I miss, that animal lives another day
#5 Unless I pick up the carcass, it doesn't count as a kill
#6 Rule #2 is dropped if I run across some jackass in the field shooting at game from a benchrest, under an umbrella, and sipping a martini(shaken -not stirred)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

This is an interesting topic because in all reality it makes very little difference in my rifles and I would assume most of yours. Nyles brought up the muzzleloader and that is the rifle we have the most trouble with. We haven't had a blackpowder deer hunter for a couple years but probably at least 1/3 of the buffalo hunter use one. None of them spend any time on load developement and it's very easy to have one of these that shoots really sh**ty. I will have the client shoot one round to make sure it's sighted properly then I always make them clean and shoot again. It never fails that I get asked why we do this because they won't have a chance to clean between shots when hunting. Well, too many times if the first shot is close the second shot is way off. You just hope it's minute of buffalo and explain that 250 yard TV shots take practice not 3 pellets instead of 2. Sorry, this isn't long range stuff but it is a big problem for us and where the CBS is really a big deal.