Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

how many bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM

how many bullets?

I'm going to be sighting in my new enc. 300 win mag pretty soon and since I've never seriously sighted in a rifle before I was wondering how many different types of bullets (weights and tips) I should start with, this rifle will be for hunting deer,elk and hogs, by the way fiftydriver your explanation of bullet stabalization was super, very understandable.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

9-Point, what I usually do is pick the bullet that best suits my needs and try various powders to see what the potential is of that bullet in my rifle. I recently did this with a 300 WM. I used 180 Accubonds and 180 Scirroco's. In the beginning I couldn't get any decent groups with two different powders but I knew the Accubonds had a good reputation for their accuracy. I then tried some H-4350 and immediately found sub 1/2" groups at 100 yds. My first two choices in powder were RL-22 and H-4831, and these powders have always worked well for me in the past. In this case, it was my third choice but it hit a home run.

I usually don't worry too much about sighting in at this stage. As long as it is on paper, I am looking for groups along with Chronographing every shot to see how consistant of a load it is and whether or not it has good potential.

There are also many other things you may end up doing. Different bullet styles, seating depths, primers, 300 yd groups, etc.

This will get you started and other members will chime in with their experience.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 PM

I should clarify that I'm not reloading yet so it will be done with factory loads, sorry
Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

H-1000 deserves a serious look.. In my 300 Win H-1000 gives the least extreme spread at 61 grains behind a 180 grain bullet, very consistent powder IMHO
Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Gold Member

Factory loads get expensive in a hurry. Especially if you're using "premium" ammo... I'd recommend trying a box at a time, buying what you think will do the job. No sense buying six or seven different types at $1.50/shot. With elk on the menu, consider starting with 180's. Frankly I never found a better all-purpose bullet for the .300 Win mag than a 180 grain Nosler Partition, but most of the 180's will do a fine job on elk, deer and what have you.

If you're truly going for the long-range shooting, a bullet with a reputation for superb long-range accuracy is worth considering, such as Nosler's Ballistic Tip or Accubond. Sierra also gets high marks from me for long-range accuracy.

BTW - get yourself a press, some quality dies and start handloading! The .300 WM is a great cartridge and responds well to handloads.

Regards, Guy
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-point View Post
I should clarify that I'm not reloading yet so it will be done with factory loads, sorry
For less than the cost of 10 boxes of the least expensive factory ammo you can be up and running your own handloading operation. Check with your local dealer for package deals from RCBS, and Hornady. You can move up from there as you gain experience and prove to yourself that it is your cup of tea.