Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

how important is zero-stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: how important is zero-stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I have many of the VX-III Leupold scopes in 4.5x14x40 AO.

So, what does everyone think?

1. is there another knob I can replace it with and I just want MOA adjustments. I'll tape the drop on the stock with the given load. I don't want custom turrets in case I change load, barrel, etc.
2. do I need zero-stop? What will it do for me?

Thanks
We are using the exact same scope you are using. With that in mind and along with Len's above post I will give you my .02 cent opinion.

1. You can put a zero stop on your existing scope and after 3 years and I don't know how many ups and downs we have had no problems. This is what I would suggest you do also. If you want to PM me I will gladly steer you to the source that did the work and one I trust.

2. If you are going to use your scope for only paper/steel then you may not need a zero stop. If you are going to hunt with it then my opinion says a zero stop is mandatory. It only takes one instance in the heat of the battle in the field for you to screw up - been there done that - spring bear hunting - I'm still kicking myself for my stupidity.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

The rifles are all ONLY for hunting. Cowboy, sending you PM.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Raise your hand with me if you've ever missed a deer because you lost track of your revolutions.
... or if you turned the turret the wrong way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
If you are going to hunt with it then my opinion says a zero stop is mandatory. It only takes one instance in the heat of the battle in the field for you to screw up - been there done that - spring bear hunting - I'm still kicking myself for my stupidity.
Been there, done that.

Any chance you can post who adds a zero stop to a scope?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

I love the ZS on my NF i missed a big aoudad this year because i lost count. if it takes the guess work out of it. it can pay for its self.

What other scope beside NF has ZS's???????????????????????
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

The email I got from Trent at Leupold:

Derek,

Your scopes will not be converted to zero stop with the Target adjustment. However, we can send shims along with the scope so, you can set the dial with a zero stop. Just include in your letter a request for zero stop shims.

Best Regards,

Trent
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
The email I got from Trent at Leupold:

Derek,

Your scopes will not be converted to zero stop with the Target adjustment. However, we can send shims along with the scope so, you can set the dial with a zero stop. Just include in your letter a request for zero stop shims.

Best Regards,

Trent

I recall having a conversation with Tikkamike about adding a zero stop to a Leupy, but for the life of me I can't remember which turret. IIRC he had a 'smith add the stop to a turret? It would be worth your time to drop him a PM.

sbruce,
The MK4 M5-A Leupy (Locking turret model) does come with a zero stop, I've had mine for ~a few months & am very pleased with what they have done.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

My Vortex PST has a ZS feature. It is installed by the owner after zeroing the scope. It uses shims and is very easy to install. Also very efficient.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS