Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

How important is bc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: How important is bc?

Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

I cant argue whether or not flat base bullets are more accurate than boattails. I dont have enough experience to make a conclusion but I have read a number of opinions that they are so I'll accept it. Question is, how much more accurate are they? Boattailis are apparently accurate enough for 1K plus hunting so I think accuracy is a moot point. And boatail bullets, having a better BC, are less affected by enviromental conditions making them potentially more accurate in a sense at longer ranges.

Mark, you are 100% correct. That is why flat base bullets work well for 100 yard BR and boattails work well for LR matches and hunting.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post

Sorry if I mussunderstood you. I was refering to your response to Jon A and not Steve. It appeared that you were dissagreeing with him and felt that he was spot on. I cant say you were wrong as you were not. I just thought you missunderstood what he stated.

No problem. I misunderstood you on my end as well. We are both looking for the truth.

I am enjoying this thread a lot. It was a good question that started it. I've learned quite a bit just thinking about it.

Last edited by Fitch; 02-02-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I will have to agree that the boat tail does more for wind drift than I thought. The consensus is that the boat tail is directly responsible for the bullets wind drift.

I ran some #'s on two drastically different hunting bullets that pretty much backs up what everyone has said about bc's.

7mm Nosler AB 160g bc=.531
7mm RuM
3300 fps mv
3000 ft elev.
40 deg temp
300yrd zero
600yrd drop=39.4" or 6.3 moa
600yrd drift=18.8" or 3 moa (10mph)
1000yrd drop=188.3" or 18moa
1000yrd drift=59.2" or 5.7moa

7mm GS HV 120g bc=.390
Same rifle and atmosphere
4200 fps mv
600yrd drop=26.8" or 4.3 moa
600yrd drift=20.1" or 3.2 moa
1000yrd drop=138" or 13.2 moa
1000yrd drift=64.9" or 6.2 moa

Interesting to compare.

Hammer Bullets
Advanced Technology
Simply Better

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Good stuff. I'll also add another perspective into the mix people don't think about much (but should). Higher BC bullets are less sensitive to changes in weather.

Much like wind drift, for any given temp or pressure change, the error will be less with the higher BC bullet. Or looked at another way, the higher BC the bullet you use and the faster you shoot it the farther you can go with simple drop charts before needing to worry about weather changes.

If using a PDA for every shot it's not that big a deal, but understanding when you actually need to use a PDA and when you don't is something people should know. That distance being farther increases the odds when speed is needed in the field.
We all know our charts can't be perfect, the things we can control we can get darned close but not perfect, so the less we can dial and still make zero the closer the POI will be, the higher the BC the less you have to dial, the closer to perfect things are. Thats why I chose high BC bullets if there is one that is suitable.

Also shooting nosler accubonds, I've had matching exit holes from 500 yards to 1350 yards, the impact velocity at 1350 was 1650 fps, so even the bonded accubond will expand some at 1650 fps.
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Do rebated boat-tails give the best of both types? Do driving band bullets work like rebated boat tail?
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Movin View Post
Do rebated boat-tails give the best of both types? Do driving band bullets work like rebated boat tail?
IMO the rebated boat tails are the way to go. I make my own in .308 and they perform very well at 100 yards as well as 1000. Having said that, I've also had Bergers , A-Max and SMK shoot near one holers at 100 yards as well so go figure. The idea with the rebate is to insure uniform gas pressure as the bullet leaves the barrel. A normal boat tail has a greater chance of being unequal (unless the bevel is perfect) Apparently many of the normal boat tail manufactures are near perfect....Rich
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Rich, have you observed any specific RBBT influences to BC and Sg?