Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How good is your offhand shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Silver Member

How good is your offhand shooting?

On a a 100 yard competitive (scoring )target a perfect score being 100 ,10 shots in the 8 ring, will give you a score of 80 or over.This is very good , in perfect rifle range conditions.Tell us game shooters, how well can you shoot offhand? This is shooting athletics, in my opinion.What do you say?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How good is your offhand shooting?

My off hand sucks anymore. I broke my neck and motor skills in my left arm come and go.

I bought an air rifle to work on it, turned out to have about a 15 lb trigger pull-that didn't help.

Got a heavy barrel 10/22 for the same thing, It's never worked right it's had a prolonged stay at the smith due to illness etc.

Off hand is certainly a skill that will add a head or 2 to your wall, but I mostly preach "cheat" at every opportunity, use every device and aid when you can, and any way you can.

The proliferation of rests, sticks, bipods etc. is a good thing. Letting ego or some one else's view of manly fair chase, make your choices for you not so much.

Certainly work to improve your limits, but knowing what they are and adjusting is more important to me.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Offhand standing, or including sitting, kneeling, and prone?? I usually shoot from sitting as I did with this critter... Fed the beast . Standing, that is for short range for the most part though I have seen a couple of 1/4 mile+ kills shot from standing by others. I've seen my pops knock most of his critters from kneeling. Around here prone is somewhat useless at times as you often have rough terrain and grass/brush to shoot over.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

I run big heavy timber chainsaws for a living so it helps, but if that deer is any farther than 150yrds I won't shoot without a rest I figure I owe that to the game im seeking, if I have to shoot offhand at a deer at extended range it probably moving cause I jumped it any other time I would be set up with my bipod or another way of getting steady...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for your replies.Offhand shooting is a skill and I agree, a last choice when shooting at game, just the same, it pays to practice it, and it always amazes me just hope poor the average Joe is at it-and nobody practices prone , sitting, kneeling or offhand.In the 70's I did some competitve positional shooting, the very best then would consistantly keep all their shots in the 9 ring.scores of 90 and over.Sheep hunters seldom use this skill, but whitetail hunters have to, without practice-tough to do well.Hey, it is fun.Eg , I work as a guide in the 70's and 80's and before we went to hunting camp we would zero rifles and I would ask them to take several shots offhand (for my info) y'know most couldn't hit the target at 100 yards.Wadda you think?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony m View Post
Thanks for your replies.Offhand shooting is a skill and I agree, a last choice when shooting at game, just the same, it pays to practice it, and it always amazes me just hope poor the average Joe is at it-and nobody practices prone , sitting, kneeling or offhand.In the 70's I did some competitve positional shooting, the very best then would consistantly keep all their shots in the 9 ring.scores of 90 and over.Sheep hunters seldom use this skill, but whitetail hunters have to, without practice-tough to do well.Hey, it is fun.Eg , I work as a guide in the 70's and 80's and before we went to hunting camp we would zero rifles and I would ask them to take several shots offhand (for my info) y'know most couldn't hit the target at 100 yards.Wadda you think?
its funny some guys have 12lbs cannons that they can't even hold steady long enough to find the animal in their scope I have seen more people struggle to get a sight picture because they don't practice enough with their rifle. When they finally get a sight picture their arms are tired and can't get steady. I can only imagine after hiking up a hill or mountain....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

My offhand shooting sucks. I do a ton of bird hunting with a shotgun but looking through a scope at a target over 100 yards away and the amount of wobble I see its amazing I ever put a pattern on a bird.

I try to shoot lots of .22 with a bolt action rifle to simulate big game hunting. Hunting in the open grassland hills or sage flats out west I don't get many opportunities to shoot game up close offhand. I can recall a couple deer that were inside a hundred yards moving through timber. For me a better thing to practice is calming my heart and breathing and getting set up behind the rifle. Over summer I like to do long range wind and drop checking but as the season gets closer I do more hiking with the rifle. I like to pick a target then do 20 or so jumping jacks and push-ups then try to get myself calmed down, set up and send the shot as quickly as possible. In my experience the offhand shots aren't what costs me game it's the 300 yard mover that I'm unable to get setup on and shot before it makes it the 100-200 yards to the junipers. That's not a offhand shot situation in my mind.