Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How does H-S Precision deliver awesome accuracy in a 6 lb rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

How does H-S Precision deliver awesome accuracy in a 6 lb rifle?

I'm in frustrated mode as my .300 RUM on a Remington 700 is 1.5 MOA at best. My smith is trying to convince me that a Kreiger barrel (or the like) in at least a #5 contour is the place to start. This is a hunting rifle, so I don't relish the idea of adding another 1.5 lbs to the already medium heavy setup. How does H-S deliver guaranteed .5 MOA accuracy out of superlight rifles with 22" tubes?

I'm shooting a pillar bedded, free floated, McMillan stocked, lapped lugs and re-crowned barrel with a Zeiss 6.5x20. Trigger has been worked. Factory 180 gr Sciroccos.

.338 Norma Mag, Stiller Tac338 & Rock Creek barrel
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How does H-S Precision deliver awesome accuracy in a 6 lb rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney View Post
300 RUM on a Remington 700 is 1.5 MOA at best. My smith is trying to convince me that a Kreiger barrel (or the like) in at least a #5 contour is the place to start. How does H-S deliver guaranteed .5 MOA accuracy out of superlight rifles with 22" tubes?

I'm shooting a pillar bedded, free floated, McMillan stocked, lapped lugs and re-crowned barrel with a Zeiss 6.5x20. Trigger has been worked. Factory 180 gr Sciroccos.
Scott,

Well, you musta lucked out and got one of the not so accurate factory 700s.

What are the odds of that? 100% in your case. Just the luck of the draw.

To a point weigh has nothing to do with accuracy. Weight is more directly related to steadiness of the "set up" when going prone on the long shots.

I can only assume that H-S goes from from one end of the rifle to the other ensuring that all things are straight, true and aligned perfectly. Remington doesn't do that. Close enough is pretty much good enough for those they market to.

Your smith may be rignt, at least it most probably wouldn't hurt......

A less expensive route would be to blue print (as they say), the complete bolt and action. Recut, or true, the barrel threads on your existing barrel to ensure the barrel is perfectly perpendicular to the bolt face and action and that the recoil lug is flat on both sides and perfectly parallel, true, on both sides.

Recrown the existing barrel and I bet () it'll shoot along with what it would have with the Kreiger barrel fitted. If not you're more than halfway there.

Just a thought......
Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

That's because you're shooting terrible ammunition. I know that there is no other choice, but the Scirocco is a premium bullet loaded by a company that- despite their amazing, consistent, accurate rifles- can't load ammo.

1.5 MOA is superb for your equipment.

HS Precision takes a lot of time with a custom rifle. You get what you pay for. Premium barrels and premium ammunition are the only things that deliver premium groups....

However, my wife's Model 7 shoots hand loaded swift bullets into 3/8.... justification: model 7s go through the custom shop for inspection.

Its bone stock....but we handload.

Long live the model 700

Tex
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

This ones pretty simple, your using FACTORY ammo. You need to invest in reloading equipment.

If you were able to handload, you would probly be seeing closer to .5-.75 MOA.

Every remington I've played with only had trigger jobs and reloads and it wasn't hard to find loads that did .5-.75 at 100.

If your limited to factory ammo, try different ones. However by the time you buy 5 different boxes of 300 RUM ammo these days, you could have got yourself a starter reloading kit.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

The way I see it, you have 2 choices.

1. Keep shooting your factory ammo, stop measuring groups and be happy with your accuracy.

2. Hand load, get better groups and NEVER be completely happy with your accuracy.

I used to own a 7mm Rem Mag, model 700 ADL that killed every animal I ever pointed it at, despite the 7 1/2 Lb creepy trigger, sloppy action, unbalanced synthetic stock, nasty recoil and only factory ammo. I sold it for a song...

Now I own a handful of rifles with wonderful 3Lb triggers, perfect balance, smooth actions, nice recoil pads and tuned hand loads, but somehow I don't kill any more game than before...

Anybody interested in several boxes of once fired factory 7mm mag brass??
Old 08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Scott,

I bought a Sendero 300 RUM which the previous owner told me he shot a 1" group @ 350 yds with factory 180 Scirroco's.

I think everyone has given good advice, but I think a heavier barrel will tend to whip less and be less affected by barrel harmonics, especially when shooting groups and especially out of a factory barrel which has probably not been stress relieved like a custom barrel. I will probably never again buy a rifle with a barrel less than a #6 (Lilja) contour.

I also agree that if you want to get the mos out of your rifle, you need to hand load with quality dies and components and do a little experimenting to find the right combo of components, seating depth, etc. In a 300 RUM that could use up 30% of your barrel life

Good shooting and let us know how things urn out.

-MR
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

Without a doubt ALL of the advise of the above said responses are correct. But one overlooked item that most people overlook is the rifle twist rate for the bullet. This is why I build so many rifles that work better for the consumer and what they are shooting. Freebore, type of bullet construction AND Barrel contour all determine accuracy. I know there are light weight barrels that shoot well on cold bore shots. But barrel contour always determines what type of bed job and how I free float the barrel. If you want to tune a factory rifle you will need to match the best bullet to the twist rate and the ogive of the bullet to the lands and freebore or not. This simply is not common on factory lawyerized ammo mass produced for profit not quality.